* Re: Is system part of standard?
@ 1999-04-30  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-04-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3729AA8A.261C142A@averstar.com>,
  Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com> wrote:
> The advice is false.  However, perhaps what they
> should have said is that *after* you "with" System,
> you may still need to refer to it via "Standard.System"
> if the name "System" by itself is hidden by something
> declared inside the current compilation unit.

That won't help much if Standard is hidden :-)

* Re: Is system part of standard?
       [not found] ` <372a74e6.7440315@news.geccs.gecm.com>
@ 1999-04-30  0:00   ` Jerry Petrey
From: Jerry Petrey @ 1999-04-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Orpin wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 07:54:03 GMT, abuse@borpin.demon.co.uk (Brian Orpin)
> wrote:

> >did not need to 'with' system but rather we could simply prefix
> >everything with Standard.System eg.
> >
> >Some_Address : Standard.System.Address;
> >
> >On Both our DEC Ada and Tartan Ada compilers this doesn't work.
> >
> >Should it or is the advice false?  The relevant sections of the LRM I
> >have found are 8.6 and the end of Annex C.  Both these imply to me that
> >system is not part of standard but is, of course, predefined.
>
> Of course I should have said that these are all Ada 83 systems.
>
> --
> Brian Orpin  **Reply to address is valid***
> Selfbuilding, and we're in; bath, shower, toilet what more do
> you need? http://www.borpin.demon.co.uk/

You must with System - it is a predefined library package like Text_IO,
Calendar, IO_Exceptions and Low_Level_IO.  Package ASCII is the
only predefined package that is nested within Standard and doesn't
need (or allow) a with clause.

Jerry

=  Jerry Petrey - Consultant Software Engineer  - Member Team Ada   =
=                 Lockheed Martin                 Member Team Forth =

* Re: Is system part of standard?
       [not found] <37295ff2.2075172@news.geccs.gecm.com>
       [not found] ` <372a74e6.7440315@news.geccs.gecm.com>
@ 1999-04-30  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1999-04-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Orpin wrote:

> did not need to 'with' system but rather we could simply prefix
> everything with Standard.System eg.
>
> Some_Address : Standard.System.Address;
>
> On Both our DEC Ada and Tartan Ada compilers this doesn't work.
>
> Should it or is the advice false?

The advice is false.  However, perhaps what they
should have said is that *after* you "with" System,
you may still need to refer to it via "Standard.System"
if the name "System" by itself is hidden by something
declared inside the current compilation unit.

> ... The relevant sections of the LRM I
> have found are 8.6 and the end of Annex C.  Both these imply to me that
> system is not part of standard but is, of course, predefined.
>
> --
> Brian Orpin  **Reply to address is valid***
> Selfbuilding, and we're in; bath, shower, toilet what more do
> you need? http://www.borpin.demon.co.uk/

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)