* Re: Deffernrce between pubic&commercial Ada
@ 1999-04-22  0:00 ` dennison
From: dennison @ 1999-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <371ea706.0@public1.ktts.kharkov.ua>,
  "Eugene" <454^beorn@public.kharkov.ua> wrote:
> Who knows how many differences between commertial & pubic
> versions of Gnat? How much does commertial version costs?
> Does exists a discount for educational organisations?

I suspect sales@gnat.com knows, or perhaps in your case sales@act-europe.fr.
But, as already pointed out by Herwig, I suggest you ask about the "public"
version. Computer technology isn't quite advanced enough to have a pubic
version. :-)

Heck, I could make that typo too...

--
T.E.D.

* Re: Deffernrce between pubic&commercial Ada
@ 1999-04-22  0:00   ` Samuel Mize
From: Samuel Mize @ 1999-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Herwig Huener <Herwig.Huener@ulm.mch.sni.de> wrote:
> Eugene wrote:
>>
>> ... commertial & pubic
>> versions of Gnat? ...
>> Ufff...So many  questions. I hope that you'll not be angry.
>
> We are not, in any way. Methinks, most of us ponder the
> difference between 'pubic' and 'public'! :-)

I know as little as I can about pubic gnats...

I don't know if there are any specific differences between
the public and commerical versions at this moment.

As I understand it, the public version of GNAT is often the
same as the commercial version (except for the version ID,
which indicates that it's the public version).  At worst
it's the previous commercial version.

That is to say, it isn't crippleware or anything.  Of course,
when a new commercial version is released it will include new
things, and these will only get into the public version when
a new public version is released.

There may also be "wavefront" versions of the compiler that
fix a specific problem or provide a specific function, which
is not yet rolled into the commercial version.

ACT won't guarantee the public version, since they don't control
it once it's been released -- they don't know if your copy has
been altered, or corrupted in transmission, or picked up any
pubic gnats or anything.

Best,
Sam Mize

--
Samuel Mize -- smize@imagin.net (home email) -- Team Ada
Fight Spam: see http://www.cauce.org/ \\\ Smert Spamonam

* Re: Deffernrce between pubic&commercial Ada
@ 1999-04-22  0:00 ` Martin C. Carlisle
From: Martin C. Carlisle @ 1999-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <371ea706.0@public1.ktts.kharkov.ua>,
Eugene <454^beorn@public.kharkov.ua> wrote:
>Who knows how many differences between commertial & pubic
>versions of Gnat?

Public versions of GNAT tend to lag the commercial version, as it has
been ACT's philosophy to be fairly sure everything will be straight-forward
for unsupported customers (who they expect to be students) before releasing
a new public version.  However, the public versions are not "crippled" versions
of the GNAT technology.

>How much does commertial version costs?
>Does exists a discount for educational organisations?

These questions are best routed to ACT at sales@gnat.com -- I'm pretty sure
the answer to the last question is yes.

>Visual ADA, is it possible???
>Ufff...So many  questions. I hope that you'll not be angry.

Of course it's possible (where'd I put that text on Turing completeness?)
There are several projects that assist in the development of GUI code, to
include:

CLAW
Aonix GUI Builder
RAPID
(and apologies to others I've forgotten)

The first two are based on Windows, the third on Tcl/Tk (so as to be
multi-platform).

--Martin

--
Martin C. Carlisle, Asst Prof of Computer Science, US Air Force Academy
carlislem@acm.org, http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/carlisle.html

* Re: Deffernrce between pubic&commercial Ada
@ 1999-04-22  0:00     ` Samuel Mize
From: Samuel Mize @ 1999-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Mize <smize@imagin.net> wrote:
>> Eugene wrote:
>>>
>>> ... commertial & pubic
>>> versions of Gnat? ...

> There may also be "wavefront" versions of the compiler that
> fix a specific problem or provide a specific function, which
> is not yet rolled into the commercial version.

There is one more difference: the public and commercial versions
are released under the GNU license and the MGNU (Modified GNU)
license, while the wavefronts are released under the super-secret
NGNU (Non-scripsit GNU) license which empowers ACT to confiscate
your computers and shoot your kids if you let anyone else see
the source code.

Best,
Sam Mize

--

@ 1999-04-22  0:00 ` Herwig Huener
From: Herwig Huener @ 1999-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

1999-04-22 14:00:00 MEST

Eugene wrote:

> ... commertial & pubic
> versions of Gnat? ...
> Ufff...So many  questions. I hope that you'll not be angry.

We are not, in any way. Methinks, most of us ponder the
difference between 'pubic' and 'public'! :-)

HH

* Deffernrce between pubic&commercial Ada
@ 1999-04-22  0:00 Eugene
From: Eugene @ 1999-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Who knows how many differences between commertial & pubic
versions of Gnat? How much does commertial version costs?
Does exists a discount for educational organisations?
Visual ADA, is it possible???
Ufff...So many  questions. I hope that you'll not be angry.
                                                *Best Regards, Eugene*

* Re: Deffernrce between pubic&commercial Ada
@ 1999-04-23  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-04-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7foavg$3t1@news1.newsguy.com>,
  Samuel Mize <smize@imagin.net> wrote:
> There is one more difference: the public and commercial
> versions are released under the GNU license and the MGNU
> (Modified GNU) license, while the wavefronts are released
> under the super-secret NGNU (Non-scripsit GNU) license
> which empowers ACT to confiscate your computers and shoot
> your kids if you let anyone else see the source code.

Since Sam put no :-) on that, and since people like
spam-spam-spam might actually believe the above, I had
better clarify :-)

The wavefronts are released to specific customers to solve
specific problems if there is no other way of solving the
problem (generally customers and we prefer to find an
effective work around if possible, since you don't want to
move to a new less-tested version of the compiler whenever
you have a problem if you can avoid it).

These wavefronts are released under the GPL and GMG (GNAT
modified GPL) in the usual manner, but with the implicit
understanding that we would prefer these versions not be
further distributed, since they are work in progress that
has not been sufficiently well tested for release, and it
would be confusing, and non-helpful, to have multiple
versions of these wavefronts around (we don't even
routinely make these available to our customers, only on
request if they are needed to solve a problem!)

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Deffernrce between pubic&commercial Ada
@ 1999-04-23  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-04-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7fnib5$mhv$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  dennison@telepath.com wrote:
> In article <371ea706.0@public1.ktts.kharkov.ua>,
> Heck, I could make that typo too...

It is an embarrasingly easy typo to make. I believe that
ACT once formally announced a pubic version of GNAT some
years ago :-)

From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-04-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <7fna8o$mkd$1@cnn.Princeton.EDU>,
  mcc@entropy.cs.princeton.edu (Martin C. Carlisle) wrote:
> >How much does commertial version costs?
> >Does exists a discount for educational organisations?

There are indeed discounts for educational support, send
mail to sales@gnat.com for details. Note however, that many
schools use the public version without any formal support,
and this is often quite appropriate. Indeed one of the
primary intended uses of the public version is for student
use.

As others have noted, the public version of GNAT is a full
featured version, it is not crippleware, as is the case for
some other freely available software.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: Deffernrce between pubic&commercial Ada
@ 1999-04-25  0:00   ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1999-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Herwig Huener wrote in message <371F0EA1.F1D8B33@ulm.mch.sni.de>...
[...]
|Methinks, most of us ponder the
|difference between 'pubic' and 'public'! :-)

In one case you air your views, and in the other you view your hairs?

;-)