* Re: Strings in Ada
       [not found] <vhi90bv2thh.fsf@refil.ifi.uio.no>
@ 1999-04-14  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-04-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Kroken <jankr@nntp.ifi.uio.no> writes:

> I'm currently learning Ada and I am stuck on string handling.
> What I need is a lot of source code doing advanced String
> handling. Do any of you have some source, or know where to
> find it?

See section A.4 of your reference manual.

GNAT also comes with a package for doing UNIX-style regular expression
searches, and another for doing SNOBOL-like pattern matching.

@ 1999-04-15  0:00 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-04-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Kroken wrote:

> I'm currently learning Ada and I am stuck on string handling.
> What I need is a lot of source code doing advanced String
> handling. Do any of you have some source, or know where to
> find it?

You'll want to look at appendix A.4 of the ARM for all of the
prefabricated String tools available to you in Ada. It really is quite a
bit of material, but in practice, I find I mostly use "Move", "Index",
"Index_Non_Blank" and maybe "Delete" or "Replace_Slice" occasionally.
(Although if you know the indicese you are interested in, you can get
there with "Move" about as easily as "Delete" or "Replace_Slice"...) I
think you'll find that this subset of subprograms is more than adequate
for most of what you want to do. (See ARM A.4.3 for the standard string
versions.)

The unbounded strings found in ARM A.4.5 are considerably more flexible,
but at the expense of more complexity to use. I'd suggest sticking to
Ada.Strings.Fixed (ARM A.4.3) until you get comfortable with the
language.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

@ 1999-04-22  0:00 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1999-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think you will find an Ada tutorial at http://www.adahome.com as well as
pointers to example Ada code, and an Ada 'FAQ'. My impression is that
questions are most likely to get a response on comp.lang.ada if they are
more specific.

-------------------------------------
Nick Roberts
-------------------------------------

* Re: Strings in Ada
@ 1999-04-22  0:00   ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 1999-04-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Also take a look at:

http://www.boton.com/ada - The Ada Source Code Treasury

Extensive set of links to on-line tutorials, tutors and articles.
Discount book finder (not some cheesy Amazon.com deal, but a powerful
engine to search over 40 different internet book sellers for the most
discounted price), lots of sample code, source code packages for reuse
and the largest links database for Ada on the net.

David Botton

Nick Roberts wrote:

> I think you will find an Ada tutorial at http://www.adahome.com as well as
> pointers to example Ada code, and an Ada 'FAQ'. My impression is that
> questions are most likely to get a response on comp.lang.ada if they are
> more specific.
>
> -------------------------------------
> Nick Roberts

* Re: Strings in Ada
@ 1999-04-25  0:00     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1999-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Of course, I should mention Dave's site in these situations!  However, _he_
should get his own URL right! :-)  Try http://www.botton.com/ada instead.

Nick Roberts