From: Marin David Condic <condicma@bogon.pwfl.com>
Subject: Re: Strings in Ada
Date: 1999/04/15
Date: 1999-04-15T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Jan Kroken wrote:

> I'm currently learning Ada and I am stuck on string handling.
> What I need is a lot of source code doing advanced String
> handling. Do any of you have some source, or know where to
> find it?

You'll want to look at appendix A.4 of the ARM for all of the
prefabricated String tools available to you in Ada. It really is quite a
bit of material, but in practice, I find I mostly use "Move", "Index",
"Index_Non_Blank" and maybe "Delete" or "Replace_Slice" occasionally.
(Although if you know the indicese you are interested in, you can get
there with "Move" about as easily as "Delete" or "Replace_Slice"...) I
think you'll find that this subset of subprograms is more than adequate
for most of what you want to do. (See ARM A.4.3 for the standard string
versions.)

The unbounded strings found in ARM A.4.5 are considerably more flexible,
but at the expense of more complexity to use. I'd suggest sticking to
Ada.Strings.Fixed (ARM A.4.3) until you get comfortable with the
language.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis