* Re: Object Ada question
@ 1999-04-11  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-04-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

AG (ang_st@ihug.co.nz) wrote:

: with win32, win32.mapi;
: use win32, win32.mapi;

: error LNK 2001: unresolved external symbol_MAPIlogon@24

Did you also link in the mapi32.lib import library for the mapi dll ?

--
-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
-- Team Ada       | jdijk@acm.org

* Object Ada question
@ 1999-04-11  0:00 AG
From: AG @ 1999-04-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

  I have recently downloaded Object Ada (V7.1.105) from Aonix site and
have tried to use
Win32 bindings there. A stripped-down program follows. It compiles
alright, but won't link.
Is it a limitation of the free version or did I miss something? Opening
panel says it's a full feature
version except for the size.

-----

with win32, win32.mapi;
use win32, win32.mapi;

procedure test is
 dummy: lpstr;
 status: ulong;
 handle: lplhandle;
begin
 status := MAPIlogon(0,dummy, dummy, 0, 0, handle);
end;

-----

The error I get is:

error LNK 2001: unresolved external symbol_MAPIlogon@24

-----

And yes, I have the link to ...\bindings\lib set up. I even tried to cut
and past it into a sample provided,
no difference. Text search of subdirectories didn't find a name like
that either.

So, does anybody know how to fix that?

Regards,
AG

* Re: Object Ada question
@ 1999-04-12  0:00   ` AG
From: AG @ 1999-04-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry van Dijk wrote:

> AG (ang_st@ihug.co.nz) wrote:
>
> : with win32, win32.mapi;
> : use win32, win32.mapi;
>
> : error LNK 2001: unresolved external symbol_MAPIlogon@24
>
> Did you also link in the mapi32.lib import library for the mapi dll ?

Sorry, but I can't find it. I did a disk search for that with no result.
There is a mapi32.dll file in windows\system but that's all.

> --
> -- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
> -- Team Ada       | jdijk@acm.org
> -- see http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk

* Re: Object Ada question
@ 1999-04-12  0:00     ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-04-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

AG (ang@xtra.co.nz) wrote:

: Jerry van Dijk wrote:

: > AG (ang_st@ihug.co.nz) wrote:
: >
: > : with win32, win32.mapi;
: > : use win32, win32.mapi;
: >
: > : error LNK 2001: unresolved external symbol_MAPIlogon@24
: >
: > Did you also link in the mapi32.lib import library for the mapi dll ?
: >

: Sorry, but I can't find it. I did a disk search for that with no result.
: There is a mapi32.dll file in windows\system but that's all.

This is the DLL you need, now you need to find the import library for it
to link it to your application. I cannot check of OA ships it since I use the
SDK files from VC++. If you do not have it, ask Aonix.

--

@ 1999-04-13  0:00       ` DPH
From: DPH @ 1999-04-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I really hope to find out how this comes out.  I currently have OA Professional
on my computer, and am a bit dismayed at the stuff I was expecting to be there
that I find I have to pay more money for.  Am hoping to find that this is not yet
another example of "more fees to be able to do something" with OA.  BTW, the
MAPI32.dll is nowhere on my entire disk, either.

Dave Head

Jerry van Dijk wrote:

> AG (ang@xtra.co.nz) wrote:
>
> : Jerry van Dijk wrote:
>
> : > AG (ang_st@ihug.co.nz) wrote:
> : >
> : > : with win32, win32.mapi;
> : > : use win32, win32.mapi;
> : >
> : > : error LNK 2001: unresolved external symbol_MAPIlogon@24
> : >
> : > Did you also link in the mapi32.lib import library for the mapi dll ?
> : >
>
> : Sorry, but I can't find it. I did a disk search for that with no result.
> : There is a mapi32.dll file in windows\system but that's all.
>
> This is the DLL you need, now you need to find the import library for it
> to link it to your application. I cannot check of OA ships it since I use the
> SDK files from VC++. If you do not have it, ask Aonix.
>
> --
> -- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
> -- Team Ada       | jdijk@acm.org
> -- see http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk

* Re: Object Ada question
@ 1999-04-14  0:00             ` DPH
From: DPH @ 1999-04-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

> In article <7f1lp8$ppd$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
>   czgrr <czgrr@my-dejanews.com> wrote:
>
> >  I have a MAPI32.DLL file in my C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32
> > directory, and it is 882K long. If you would like it,
> > please email me, but I
> > don't know what machine and OS you are using so it may or
> > may not work.
>
> I am confused, is this DLL really freely distributable. I
> would have thought not!

Probably not - and I'm not really concerned with receiving that particualar
DLL.

What I'm concerned with is the fact that the OA Pro that I have on my disk
at the moment is an evaluation copy and doesn't have it, which is
tantamount to the $595 compiler being a "crippled" version still.  For
another $395, I can get the "Open Pak" that will uncripple it for a wide
variety of programming problems, including DOS targets and SDK bindings and
DirectX, etc.

What is the concern is finding yet another thing the
fairly-hefty-priced-already compiler will not do...

Dave Head

* Re: Object Ada question
@ 1999-04-14  0:00         ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-04-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

DPH (rally2xs@csi.com) wrote:

: I really hope to find out how this comes out.  I currently have OA Professional
: on my computer, and am a bit dismayed at the stuff I was expecting to be there
: that I find I have to pay more money for.  Am hoping to find that this is not yet
: another example of "more fees to be able to do something" with OA.  BTW, the
: MAPI32.dll is nowhere on my entire disk, either.

No, I just checked the OA profesional (v7.1) CD and everything is there.

From: DPH @ 1999-04-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You are right.  Its in the SDK.  And I _did_ download the SDK (all 500 megabytes of it)
and I find it _is_ on my hard disk in various SDK directories.  Mystery now becomes why
Windows Explorer didn't find it that last time I posted saying it wasn't there.  It
found them all - this time - on my hard disk...  Duh!

DPH

Jerry van Dijk wrote:

> DPH (rally2xs@csi.com) wrote:
>
> : I really hope to find out how this comes out.  I currently have OA Professional
> : on my computer, and am a bit dismayed at the stuff I was expecting to be there
> : that I find I have to pay more money for.  Am hoping to find that this is not yet
> : another example of "more fees to be able to do something" with OA.  BTW, the
> : MAPI32.dll is nowhere on my entire disk, either.
>
> No, I just checked the OA profesional (v7.1) CD and everything is there.
>
> --
> -- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
> -- Team Ada       | jdijk@acm.org
> -- see http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk

* Re: Object Ada question
@ 1999-04-14  0:00         ` czgrr
From: czgrr @ 1999-04-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3713F488.4A32BC3B@csi.com>,
  DPH <rally2xs@csi.com> wrote:
> I really hope to find out how this comes out.  I currently have OA
Professional
> on my computer, and am a bit dismayed at the stuff I was expecting to be there
> that I find I have to pay more money for.  Am hoping to find that this is not
yet
> another example of "more fees to be able to do something" with OA.  BTW, the
> MAPI32.dll is nowhere on my entire disk, either.
>
> Dave Head

I use ObjectAda Professional Edition version 7.1.1.543 under Windows NT 4.0
and I checked my disk. I have a MAPI32.DLL file in my C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32
directory, and it is 882K long. If you would like it, please email me, but I
don't know what machine and OS you are using so it may or may not work.

Cheers,
czgrr

--
My opinions, suggestions, etc, are not necessarily those of my employer.
They might not even be right. Use at your own risk.

* Re: Object Ada question
@ 1999-04-14  0:00           ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-04-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-04-15  0:00                 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-04-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar (robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com) wrote:
: In article <FA7IE5.By@jvdsys.stuyts.nl>,
:   jerry@jvdsys.stuyts.nl (Jerry van Dijk) wrote:
: > In this particular case that does not matter, as it comes
: > with the MS SDK as distributed with OA.

: I am not quite sure what you mean here, but it is a common
: fallacious impression that if you have licensed product
: X, and your friend Joe has licensed product X, then you
: can freely interchange pieces of this product.

No, I meant that it did not matter since the person asking has the specific
SDK, so already has the software. As he found out later :-)

--

@ 1999-04-15  0:00               ` czgrr
From: czgrr @ 1999-04-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <371523C4.EBC898BD@csi.com>,
  DPH <rally2xs@csi.com> wrote:
> Robert Dewar wrote:
> > In article <7f1lp8$ppd$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> >   czgrr <czgrr@my-dejanews.com> wrote:
> > >  I have a MAPI32.DLL file in my C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32
> > I am confused, is this DLL really freely distributable. I
> > would have thought not!
>
> Probably not - and I'm not really concerned with receiving that particualar
> DLL.
I actually have two versions, one on my own Windows 95 installation and one on
my work Windows NT. When I bring up "Properties..." on both of these:

1. Windows 95 version (DLL version 4.0) says that it is from the "Microsoft�
Windows(TM) Operating System", so I assume that it was on my original Windows
disks. If the people who are looking for it are running Windows 95, then it's
probably on their disks/CD but there is just some option they haven't used
which installs it.

2. Windows NT version (DLL version 5.0) says that it is from "Microsoft
Exchange" and has the comment "Service Pack 1". Same reasonong as above for
Microsoft Exchange, and SP1 is freely downloadable if not already installed on
a computer when it is bought (or at least, I was told that it was available).

So in either case, I believe to the best of my knowledge that the appropriate
DLL is freely distributable to people who already own a copy of either Windows
95 or NT.

Please tell me if I am wrong on this. I haven't sent a copy to anyone yet and
if anyone asks I shall wait until I get an answer on this newsgroup.

Cheers,
czgrr

From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-04-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-04-15  0:00               ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-04-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <FA7IE5.By@jvdsys.stuyts.nl>,
  jerry@jvdsys.stuyts.nl (Jerry van Dijk) wrote:
> In this particular case that does not matter, as it comes
> with the MS SDK as distributed with OA.

I am not quite sure what you mean here, but it is a common
fallacious impression that if you have licensed product
X, and your friend Joe has licensed product X, then you
can freely interchange pieces of this product. Such
interchange is still a copyright violation unless
specifically permitted by the license. I know of no
normal proprietary licenses that permit such interchange.
Of course if the license *does* specifically permit this
interchange, as with the GPL, then there is no problem.

* Re: Object Ada question
@ 1999-04-15  0:00             ` AG
From: AG @ 1999-04-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think there was quite a bit of confusion in this thread by now (sorry I couldn't post
earlier).
To recap:
  - I was trying free downloaded version of OA - not professional.
  - As Jerry van Dijk pointed out, I was probably missing MAPI32.LIB (not .DLL).
  - That turned out to be the case. (And the .DLL file is of course in windows \system
     directory as on all W95/NT machines I've seen so far. I suppose it's installed as part

     of exchange?)

Now, I've contacted local distributor for Aonix with the original question but am still
waiting
for reply. So, could somebody who has professional version installed check if it will
compile
and link my code snippet from the first post? No need to make it run - just to make sure
professional edition got all the needed libraries. In addition to MAPI, could you also try
Winsock please?

Thank you,
AG