From: Tucker Taft <stt@averstar.com>
Subject: Re: minimal hardware for ada (newbie)
Date: 1999/04/09
Date: 1999-04-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Michael Viotto wrote:

> Stumbling over Ada in a long thread in comp.arch.embedded I got
> interested in that language. I  have some very simple (?) questions.
>
> Which is the minimal hardware requirement for running Ada on an
> embedded system? The "smallest" processor I found was a 386. Are 16-
> or even 8-bit processors supported, too? If so, what real time kernels
> can be used together with ada?

We have developed (and recently validated) a version of our
AdaMagic technology which uses optimized ANSI C as its intermediate
representation.  One of the reasons was to allow a programming team to
write their source code in Ada, while relying only on the availability
of an ANSI C compiler for their chosen target.  We also have
a version of the Ada run-time that at the lowest level depends
only on routines included in the standard ANSI C run-time.

The Ada variable and subprogram names are preserved in the
generated C, and additional "#line" information is provided,
so that it is feasible to use a C debugger to debug at the
Ada source level using this technology.

So it is possible to run Ada on essentially any chip where
a C compiler exists.  However, if you use all of the features
of the run-time, you would probably run out of memory space,
so you would have to avoid features which require a lot of
run-time support (such as rendezvous, full Text_IO, etc.).

--
-Tucker Taft   stt@averstar.com   http://www.averstar.com/~stt/
Technical Director, Distributed IT Solutions  (www.averstar.com/tools)