From: "Tarjei Tj�stheim Jensen" <tarjei@online.no>
Subject: Re: Terminal IO, and menus
Date: 1999/04/04
Date: 1999-04-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Jerry van Dijk wrote:

> dennison@telepath.com wrote:
> : Another nifty idea would be a port of DEC's SMG library. SMG is much
> : higer-level than curses, and thus is a lot easier to get into.
>
> Ok, I will admit publically I have used VMS a lot (even to the point of having
> a DCL shell on my PC :-), so this sounds interesting. Any info on it ?
> Like: is there free documentation and what the copyright status is ?

SMG ocumentation: http://www.openvms.digital.com:8000/72final/5935/5935pro.html
General VMS documentation: http://www.openvms.digital.com:8000/

There is more than one thing to this. Not only will one have to create a SMG
clone, but also one needs to do something about terminal handling. E.g. something
that recognizes that <esc>[ and <csi> is the same. In short; this sounds
interesting.

For a reasonable vt terminal emulator have a look at kermit. There are versions of
it (at least for os/2) which can be used to test how well one is doing. I assume
that the DOS version is as good as the os/2 version as far as emulation goes.
Neither of them can do double width/height stuff.

It would be nice to be able to use VT terminals in 8 bit mode.

Greetings,