* Pascal to Ada Translation
@ 1994-10-03 17:36 Terry Corcoran
From: Terry Corcoran @ 1994-10-03 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am looking for information on PASCAL to Ada Translators.  If anyone
has any experience in this area or knows of a translator (homegrown or
other), please send me email corcor@cccc.com.

* Re: Pascal to Ada Translation
@ 1994-10-03 17:47 ` Ada Info Clearinghouse
From: Ada Info Clearinghouse @ 1994-10-03 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <CORCOR.94Oct3123654@bean.compcom.jvnc.net> corcor@bean.compcom.jvnc.net (Terry Corcoran) writes:
>I am looking for information on PASCAL to Ada Translators.  If anyone
>has any experience in this area or knows of a translator (homegrown or
>other), please send me email corcor@cccc.com.

Ada Products and Tools Available

The Ada Information Clearinghouse maintains a database of Ada products
and tools.  Translators is one of the categories.

The results of the most requested searches are available from ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
via anonymous ftp in the public/dev-tool/database directory.  See
translators for a search on your topic.  This data is available
to users via an online searchable database on the AdaIC bulletin board (703)
604-4624.  The AdaIC performs customized searches by request.  You can reach
--
Ada Information Clearinghouse (AdaIC)		|  IIT Research Institute
703/685-1477, 800/AdaIC-11, FAX 703/685-7019	|  operates the AdaIC for

* Re: Pascal to Ada Translation
@ 1994-10-04  6:38 ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1994-10-04  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Subject: Pascal to Ada Translation
From: Terry Corcoran, corcor@bean.compcom.jvnc.net
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 1994 17:36:54 GMT
In article <CORCOR.94Oct3123654@bean.compcom.jvnc.net> Terry Corcoran,
corcor@bean.compcom.jvnc.net writes:
>I am looking for information on PASCAL to Ada Translators.  If anyone
>has any experience in this area or knows of a translator (homegrown or
>other), please send me email corcor@cccc.com.

I tried posting this but it bounced.

I have tried using two different translators, the freely available Ralph
Ebert's, and Intrepid Technology's.

Ralph's worked ok for the most part but would die on records. A small fix got
it over the worst of the problems, but it would still crash when dealing
with other records (I haven't informed him of the problem yet!).

Intrepid Technology's was quite professional and worked just as it
should most of the time. There were some errors, which they said they
would be able to fix.
Overall it did about 90% of the work for us, the rest of the time
was spent in fixing up things that were Vax Pascal dependent (such as varying
strings, calling external routines etc. -these were flagged in the Ada output).
However it died on an _extremely_ big case statement (part of an assembler).
It is certainly better than doing it by hand, or rolling your own translator.

The person to contact is...
Gary Funck               gary@intrepid.com
Intrepid Technology Inc., Mountain View CA (415) 964-8135

Dale
Dale Stanbrough, RMIT, Melbourne, Australia, dale@rmit.edu.au
GNU Ada 94 (GNAT) => the best $0 you'll ever spend.
Available for DOS, Linux, OS/2, Sun Sparc, Sun Solaris, ...
Coming to a GNU supported platform near you soon...