* beginner question re: user input & output to screen
@ 1999-02-15  0:00 fluffy_dong
From: fluffy_dong @ 1999-02-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm in this programming class and I have a program to hand in.
There's a place in the program where I'm supposed to display a table
and leave it there until the user presses <Enter>.  I don't know how
to do this.  The only way I know to make my program "stop and wait" is
by using "GET", but GET seems to require that the user types
something, anything, before he/she presses <Enter>.

So what's the simplest way to hold the screen until <Enter>.  My
program structure is fine and the other screen I want displayed is
fine.  The way I have it now is that the table comes up, with a couple
of blank lines bellow, and my other screen bellow that.  It all fits
on one screen but that's not the way the teacher wants it.

What I usually do is to give the user two choices, one to continue and
one to quit, and I put the answer in some variable that determines
what is done next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marc
--
What I really am is "fluffy", no "_dong",
no "_puff", no "_woo", no  nothing, just plain fluffy.

* Re: beginner question re: user input & output to screen
@ 1999-02-15  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1999-02-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

fluffy_dong@dsuper.net writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in this programming class and I have a program to hand in.
> There's a place in the program where I'm supposed to display a table
> and leave it there until the user presses <Enter>.  I don't know how
> to do this.  The only way I know to make my program "stop and wait" is
> by using "GET", but GET seems to require that the user types
> something, anything, before he/she presses <Enter>.

Use Ada.Text_IO.Get_Line.

* Re: beginner question re: user input & output to screen
@ 1999-02-15  0:00   ` fraser
From: fraser @ 1999-02-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I nearly cried when matthew_heaney@acm.org said:

>Use Ada.Text_IO.Get_Line.

Skip_Line might be closer to the requirement.

Or not.

cheers,
Fraser.

* Re: beginner question re: user input & output to screen
@ 1999-02-15  0:00   ` Chad R. Meiners
From: Chad R. Meiners @ 1999-02-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <m3iud3tu6s.fsf@mheaney.ni.net>, matthew_heaney@acm.org says...

>fluffy_dong@dsuper.net writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm in this programming class and I have a program to hand in.
>> There's a place in the program where I'm supposed to display a table
>> and leave it there until the user presses <Enter>.  I don't know how
>> to do this.  The only way I know to make my program "stop and wait" is
>> by using "GET", but GET seems to require that the user types
>> something, anything, before he/she presses <Enter>.
>
>Use Ada.Text_IO.Get_Line.

Perhaps Ada.Text_IO.Skip_Line would be better since he really doesn't need any
data returned.

-Chad R. Meiners