* Jovial To Ada Translator
@ 1995-03-16 18:49 Eric L. Beser
From: Eric L. Beser @ 1995-03-16 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

We have about 7-10K lines of Jovial that needs to be translated
into Ada95. Is there a tool that is available that can do this?

I seem to remember several years back. But I am curious about
what is available today.

Regards,

Eric

* Re: Jovial To Ada Translator
@ 1995-03-16 22:42 ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1995-03-16 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3ka17r$j4m@post.gsfc.nasa.gov>,
Eric L. Beser <eric.beser@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
>We have about 7-10K lines of Jovial that needs to be translated
>into Ada95. Is there a tool that is available that can do this?

Hughes Training Inc has a Jovial to Ada translator, which has
successfully been used several times.  I can try to get more info if
y'all are interested.

--
      Frustrated with C, C++, Pascal, Fortran?  Ada95 _might_ be for you!
	  For all sorts of interesting Ada95 tidbits, run the command:

* Re: Jovial To Ada Translator
@ 1995-03-17 15:23 CONDIC
From: CONDIC @ 1995-03-17 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Subject: Re: Jovial To Ada Translator
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

Eric L. Beser" <eric.beser@GSFC.NASA.GOV> writes:

>We have about 7-10K lines of Jovial that needs to be translated
>into Ada95. Is there a tool that is available that can do this?

Have you considered buying a 6 pack and some jelly doughnuts for
your favorite Jovial/Ada literate programmer and getting him to
do the job over a weekend? :-)

If the only need is for a 7-10K translation, I'd suggest you're
going to spend more time finding, learning how to use, and
debugging the results of an automatic translator than you would
to simply jump in there and do it. Most of Jovial has
corresponding Ada features so it would mostly be a syntactic
effort.

Pax,
Marin
Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    Please send responses to one of the addresses in this trailer.
    A "reply" to the address in the message header will bounce.
    BTW: Mr. Pratt, Mr. Whitney & I have the same opinions quite
    often. But you should check with them to see if this is one of
    those occasions.
    "According to my best recollection, I don't remember."

            --  Vincent "Jimmy Blue Eyes" Alo

* Jovial to Ada translator
@ 1999-03-26  0:00 Leda Hoffman
From: Leda Hoffman @ 1999-03-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know where I could find a Jovial to Ada translator? Thanks!

-Leda

* Re: Jovial to Ada translator
@ 1999-03-27  0:00 ` Robert S. White
From: Robert S. White @ 1999-03-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <36FC1815.541F65E3@sd.aonix.com>, leda@sd.aonix.com says...

>Does anyone know where I could find a Jovial to Ada translator? Thanks!

  Yes...it would be interesting to see if anybody was able to
create Ada "rep specs" out of Jovial compool sources. And then there is
that array order thingy.  Have you tried a Deja News search?  Seem
to recall a few years ago some posts claiming some success in
doing such a machine translation.  Personally never have been
convinced that an automatic conversion would be truly worthwhile.
Wouldn't it not, in fact, be better to bite the bullet and have an
intelligent S/W engineer read the original code and requirements, and
then re-engineer a cleaner, more maintainable, solution in Ada!

Robert S. White         -- An embedded systems software engineer
e-mail reply to reverse of ( add .'s ):  net mcleodusa shift2 r white
             or do a "Reply To All" for direct eMailed cc'd followups.

* Re: Jovial to Ada translator
@ 1999-03-29  0:00 ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 1999-03-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leda Hoffman wrote:

> Does anyone know where I could find a Jovial to Ada translator? Thanks!
>
> -Leda

Why, yes. I speak both languages fluently - although my Jovial is a
little rusty from disuse. Besides, I'm pretty expensive. :-)

I've not heard of a machine translator, but I'm pretty sure that even if
you had one, you wouldn't want to live with the result. Most of the
machine translators I've seen take semi-respectable code as input and
produce fewmets as output. Jovial is sufficiently different from Ada
that there is no good one-for-one translation for many common features.
In which case, I'd opt for a human translator to reengineer the code.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

* Re: Jovial to Ada translator
@ 1999-03-29  0:00   ` L. Andrew Campbell
From: L. Andrew Campbell @ 1999-03-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes - Jovial to Ada converters have been created, and used in
some largish conversion/upgrade projects. Onr is JACK, a product
of PERSONYX, Inc. I don't know of any freeware.
--
 zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
| L. Andrew Campbell     internet: campbell@aero.org       |