From: Sam Carnicelli <samuel.charles.carnicelli@lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Ada Type Information
Date: 1999/03/08
Date: 1999-03-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

dewar@gnat.com wrote:

> In article <36E03843.3AD74457@lmco.com>,
>   Sam Carnicelli <samuel.charles.carnicelli@lmco.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I've been lurking around this newsgroup for a couple of
> > weeks and I thought some of the people here might be able
> > to offer some valuable advice.
>
> Since you mention the -gnatR switch in the latest 3.12
> GNAT technology, let me say exactly what this does. For
> all named array and record types in the program it gives
> the type name, and the representation characteristics.
>
> I must say I am a bit puzzled as to why this does not
> give you all the information you want. Here is some sample
> output from -gnatR:
>
> Source
> ------
>
> procedure q is
>    type r is record
>       a : integer := 0;
>       s : string (1 .. 5);
>       t : integer;
>    end record;
> begin
>    null;
> end q;
>
> Output from -gnatR
> ------------------
>
> Representation information for unit q
> --------------------------------------
>
> for r'Object_Size use 128;
> for r use record
>    a at  0 range  0 .. 31;
>    s at  4 range  0 .. 39;
>    t at 12 range  0 .. 31;
> end record;

This tells me the layout of the record, but not the types of the
components.  Assume I was trying to write a graphical debugger and
wanted to display an object of this type to the user.  Would this data
be sufficient?  I would also need type information.  If one of the
components of record type r was itelf a record, I would need to
decompose it further, and so on...

Sam Carnicelli
Lockheed Martin				Phone : 315-456-2881
Syracuse, NY 13221-4840			Fax   : 315-456-0107

e-mail: samuel.charles.carnicelli@lmco.com