From: Sam Carnicelli <samuel.charles.carnicelli@lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Ada Type Information
Date: 1999/03/08
Date: 1999-03-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

dennison@telepath.com wrote:

> In article <36E03843.3AD74457@lmco.com>,
>   Sam Carnicelli <samuel.charles.carnicelli@lmco.com> wrote:
>
> > a tool written in Java.  We basically need, given a record type, the
> > type starting bit
> > position, and length in bits of all fields of a record.  For instance,
> > given this record
> > definition:
>
> If the record doesn't have a rep spec and size clause, this information is
> not defined by the language. Depending on what use you want to make of the
> information, that could be a major problem. A new version of the compiler
> would be well within its rights to add or remove padding, and to completely
> shuffle the order of the fields.

This is why I want to get the information from a product of the
compiler.  If a new
compiler were to change the layout of the record type, I would simply
have to rerun my tool to get the new information.  All of the methods I
have mentioned make use of products of the compiler.

> If its important to you that fields be in a certian place with a certian size,
> you should use rep specs.

It would be possible to force all types to be rep spec'd in order to use
them as input to the tool, but it should not be necessary.

Sam Carnicelli
Lockheed Martin				Phone : 315-456-2881
Syracuse, NY 13221-4840			Fax   : 315-456-0107

e-mail: samuel.charles.carnicelli@lmco.com