* AdaGraph question
@ 1999-03-06  0:00 Bruce or Tracy
From: Bruce or Tracy @ 1999-03-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does AdaGraph work with GNAT 3.11, also?

The reason I ask is because the instructions say:

   To use AdaGraph with AdaGIDE

      Choose Tools, Options and set the

         ADA_INCLUDE_PATH
         ADA_OBJECTS_PATH

      fields to c:/usr/adagraph and press 'Save'.

But, the AdaGide options contains no way, that I can see, to
set these two options.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Bruce

* Re: AdaGraph question
@ 1999-03-07  0:00 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 1999-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce or Tracy wrote in message <36E1EA9D.9BCBA739@hiwaay.net>...
>Does AdaGraph work with GNAT 3.11, also?
>
>The reason I ask is because the instructions say:
>

>   To use AdaGraph with AdaGIDE
>
>      Choose Tools, Options and set the
>
>         ADA_INCLUDE_PATH
>         ADA_OBJECTS_PATH
>
>      fields to c:/usr/adagraph and press 'Save'.
>
>But, the AdaGide options contains no way, that I can see, to
>set these two options.

It looks like you need to do some basic reading on the ways GNAT does its
searches for the files it needs, as well as the ways in which AdaGIDE
supports these options.

You need to read the GNAT User's Guide sections entitled
"Search Paths for gnatbind" and
"Search Paths and the Run-Time Library (RTL)"

Then, you need to use the "GNAT options in current directory" to set the
compiler options and gnatmake options using the command line switch option
alternative to environment variables method of defining GNATS search paths.

I find that using the environment variables ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and
ADA_OBJECTS_PATH is a bad idea, given that the command line alternatives are
available.  The reason is that when one is working on several projects, or
is perhaps simply wanting to compare two versions of a library, using a file
specific to a directory is the better approach.

In AdaGIDE, the options you have set for the "GNAT options in current
directory", are stored into a specially-named file in the directory
containing the file you're compiling.  Similarly, when using emacs ada-mode
(the method I prefer because it gives me a uniform environment over all
platform with which I work -- various DOS-based and various flavors of
UNIX -- and frees me from the need to shift mental gears between platforms)
the project files can define search paths and GNAT options.

And for building from the command line, I use a Makefile to define search
paths and GNAT options.

If you insist on using environment variables, it can be done by setting them
in the autoexec.bat file if you're working on Windows 95, or if you're using
Windows NT, using the System applet in the Control Panel.

An amazing store of knowledge about GNAT can be acquired by simply reading
the provided documentation.

David C. Hoos, Sr.

* Re: AdaGraph question
@ 1999-03-07  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce or Tracy (bljacobs@hiwaay.net) wrote:

: Does AdaGraph work with GNAT 3.11, also?

: The reason I ask is because the instructions say:

:    To use AdaGraph with AdaGIDE

:       Choose Tools, Options and set the

:          ADA_INCLUDE_PATH
:          ADA_OBJECTS_PATH

:       fields to c:/usr/adagraph and press 'Save'.

: But, the AdaGide options contains no way, that I can see, to
: set these two options.

Note that the AdaGIDE that comes with GNAT 3.11p includes a later
version of AdaGIDE. Also, the default GNAT path changed to C:/GNAT.

Otherwise, there is a GNAT 3.11p version of AdaGraph on my homepage.

--
-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
-- Team Ada       | jdijk@acm.org

* Re: AdaGraph question
@ 1999-03-07  0:00   ` Bruce or Tracy
From: Bruce or Tracy @ 1999-03-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you.  Got it.  Still, the option menu does not include a place
to define those two environment variables.

Thanks, Bruce

Jerry van Dijk wrote:

> Bruce or Tracy (bljacobs@hiwaay.net) wrote:
>
> : Does AdaGraph work with GNAT 3.11, also?
>
> : The reason I ask is because the instructions say:
>
> :    To use AdaGraph with AdaGIDE
>
> :       Choose Tools, Options and set the
>
> :          ADA_INCLUDE_PATH
> :          ADA_OBJECTS_PATH
>
> :       fields to c:/usr/adagraph and press 'Save'.
>
> : But, the AdaGide options contains no way, that I can see, to
> : set these two options.
>
> Note that the AdaGIDE that comes with GNAT 3.11p includes a later
> version of AdaGIDE. Also, the default GNAT path changed to C:/GNAT.
>
> Otherwise, there is a GNAT 3.11p version of AdaGraph on my homepage.
>
> --
> -- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
> -- Team Ada       | jdijk@acm.org
> -- see http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk

* Re: AdaGraph question
@ 1999-03-08  0:00     ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1999-03-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce or Tracy (bljacobs@hiwaay.net) wrote:

: Thank you.  Got it.  Still, the option menu does not include a place
: to define those two environment variables.

Maybe the confusion is that there are two separate settings:

a) compiling from the command line
   To do this you need to set the Ada_Include_Path and Ada_Objects_Path
   environment variables.

b) compiling from with AdaGIDE
   To do this you need to set the AdaGIDE options for every directory
   you use, in accordance with the AdaGIDE and AdaGraph documentation.

Success,
Jerry.

--

@ 1999-03-08  0:00       ` Bruce Jacobs
From: Bruce Jacobs @ 1999-03-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh, I was interpretting those as being the same thing.  That makes lots
more sense.  I was
confusing the two as being one.

Thanks, Bruce