* Re: Justifying Development tools
       [not found]     ` <7aa64c$m32$1@cascade.cs.ubc.ca>
@ 1999-02-15  0:00       ` Pat Rogers
From: Pat Rogers @ 1999-02-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Donald Gillies wrote in message <7aa64c$m32$1@cascade.cs.ubc.ca>...
>>In article <36c85659.0@news.pacifier.com>, "Steve Doiel"
>><nospam_steved@pacifier.com> wrote:
>
>>> If you're really interested in things like the cost of errors and
the cost
>>> after shipment,
>>> read the paper by Stephen F. Zeigler, Ph.D. comparing the cost of
Ada and C
>>> development

http://www.rational.com/sitewide/support/whitepapers/dynamic.jtmpl?doc
_key=337

>IMHO, this article is spam science.
>
>You don't run a retroactive experiment with 7 variables and then try
>to correct for each variable independently, using ad-hoc ideas.  A
>good experiment has a "design" with just one or two variables and all
>other things are held constant.
>
>A good experiment is designed using something called "statistics"
>which seems completely unfathomable to the average software
>engineering computer scientist.  In particular, without looking at
>confidence intervals and many indepedent trials (does this guy
>understand what is the meaning of "independent trials" ???), you are
>doing nothing but promoting heresay, and we have enough newspapermen
>in the country doing this already...

What experiment are you referring to?  My recollection is that the
author makes conclusions based upon historical data.

* Re: Justifying Development tools
@ 1999-03-06  0:00         ` Corey Ashford
From: Corey Ashford @ 1999-03-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pat Rogers wrote:

> Donald Gillies wrote in message <7aa64c$m32$1@cascade.cs.ubc.ca>...

> the cost
> Ada and C
> >>>

> http://www.rational.com/sitewide/support/whitepapers/dynamic.jtmpl?doc
> _key=337

[snip]

Just as a side note, the link shown above is outdated.  Here's a current
one:

http://www.rational.com/sitewide/support/whitepapers/dynamic.jtmpl?doc_key=337&borschtid=36402077701901701421

- Corey