From: Sam Carnicelli <samuel.charles.carnicelli@lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Ada Type Information
Date: 1999/03/05
Date: 1999-03-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Tom Moran wrote:

> >given a record type, the
> >type starting bit
> >position, and length in bits of all fields of a record
> If there's no rep spec, then there's no guaranteed layout.  Different
> compilers may do it differently, or according to the phases of the
> moon.

With any of the methods I mentioned in my original post, the information
should still be available.The stabs data comes from the compiler, so it
would have the layout information.
The rep spec data produced by the -gnatR flag obviously has the
information.
ASIS uses data from the tree file produced by the compiler.  Again, the
data should be available.

>   At run time, if you have an appropriate piece of code, it could
> determine things using the storage place attributes, eg
> R.Field1'Position, R.Field1.First_Bit, etc.  Could you make a tool
> using ASIS to tell the types, and generate code to tell the positions?

I suppose I could generate some code, but it seems like there must be an
easier way???

Sam Carnicelli
Lockheed Martin                         Phone : 315-456-2881
Syracuse, NY 13221-4840                 Fax   : 315-456-0107

e-mail: samuel.charles.carnicelli@lmco.com