From: Thomas Handler <thandler@systems.at>
Subject: Re: Looking for implementation idea
Date: 1999/02/08
Date: 1999-02-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Corey,

I also would like to thank you for your answer.

Corey Minyard wrote:

> > Anyway I saw that using C++ for a team of developers is rather
> > problematic (yes I know many teams are using C++ but for me it's to
> > unsafe - just my opinion, I prefer to sleep well during nights ;-) and
> > so I convinced my boss to have a look on Ada95.

> Wow, you must be very persuasive! :-)
I hope so ;-)

> Now about the tasking.

> Since Ada has tasking built-in, there is a great temptation to use it
> even when it is not the best way to solve the problem.  So I'm going
> to have to jump on my tasking soapbox.

> BEGIN SOAPBOX

> I believe that tasking (or threading) is a heavily overused thing.
> Not just in Ada, but generally.  IMHO, using tasking will have three
> general effects on your system:

>    1) It will be more complex

>    2) It will be less efficient

>    3) It will be less reliable

OK, I will take the shortcut and respond in a short manner ;-)
The first thing I have to mention is that I want to use the tasks in a
abstraction help manner rather than for concurrency. The other choice I
would have is that I could write state machines for each type of device
and this state machines would have to be written in a way that allows
'tasking' them, i.e. every state acts for a short time and switches back
to a kind of dispatcher written by me - So I think using the already
existing tasking scheme provided by Ada is more efficient from any point
;-) (and I know what I'm talking about since I did exactly this within
one process in C++).

So your #1 (more complex) isn't true for me, since its easier because I
don't have to worry about the dispatcher

I assume that the rts used by many many people and developed by pros
will be more efficient than my own dispatcher, so #2 isn't true either.
In fact anything I have read about Ada so far (and I already have read a
lot ;-) makes me sure that things will be implemented the most efficient
way possible on my system.

And #3 is only true if I fail in doing my homework correctly ;-)

Ciao,
  Thomas Handler