From: Marin David Condic <condicma@bogon.pwfl.com>
Subject: Re: Making ADA More Popular
Date: 1999/01/27
Date: 1999-01-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Michael Garrett wrote:

> Take an inexpensive processor which has a gnu / cygnus compiler port and its
> evaluation board
> and provide gnat with a runtime environment (RTEMS ADA?) for a decent price,
> around 200.00 US.
<snip>

I have often said that an Ada compiler manufacturer could do well by
getting into bed with some SBC manufacturer and putting out a whole kit.
If you had a relatively inexpensive SBC with a couple of A/D's, F/D's
and a bunch of discretes which was large enough to be used for
reasonably sophisticated applications, and you could get a PC based
programming environment which gave you an Ada compiler & the tools you
need to get code onto the board, you'd really have something there. With
something like GNAT, there's a natural advantage in having the built-in
C compiler because most of the folks working on boards like this are
already doing it in C and this would be a way for them to ease into Ada
in a non-threatening way. The pitch would be this: You program the board
in Ada and all of the support tools, libraries, runtime, etc is very Ada
oriented. O.K. if you *really must* proigram it in C, the compiler will
do that, but you'll find the tasking, libraries, etc, to be more
"natural" in Ada so maybe you want to learn that rather than spit into
the wind...

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

    "Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."

        --  Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy,
            Ecole Superieure de Guerre.