From: Marin David Condic <condicma@bogon.pwfl.com>
Subject: Re: Assembler in Ada?
Date: 1999/01/27
Date: 1999-01-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

news.oxy.com wrote:

<snip>

> The other thing comes to my mind also. Just imagine that Microsoft would
> react the same way for [potential] users needs. Would it have such success?
> Would it help to promote Microsoft products? Just look at the Microsoft WEB
> . You will find links to huge amount of free, shareware and commercial
> software written for MS-Windows. This is extremely convenient. They know
> what they are doing and why.

This is a valid point. It really doesn't help a business to tell the
customer that they are "irrational" or that they are capable of handling
it themselves, if only they weren't so ignorant. What makes a business
successful is to look for ways to make the customer's lives easier. If a
customer is ignorant or irrational, find a way to work with that.
Chances are, you end up discovering that they have a point.

I remember hearing tell of a large discount retail chain that was so
dedicated to making the customer happy that they bragged about how they
once took a set of auto tires in on a return from a dissatisfied
customer. The chain didn't even sell auto tires! But the point was that
they send someone away smiling who had come in unhappy and that this
mentality makes for repeat business, etc. (The company in question was
also enormously successful in a financial sense as well, so it isn't a
case of being so "nice" that you give away the business...)

So what would be wrong with posting links to additional documentation in
the cs.nyu.edu website? For that matter, what would be wrong with
posting links to other gcc based compilers? All it can do is get people
more hooked on using the gcc based products. How can that be a bad thing
if your business is selling gcc based services?

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

    "Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value."

        --  Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy,
            Ecole Superieure de Guerre.