From: Steve Kerr <stephen.kerr@gecm.com>
Subject: Re: help Please
Date: 1999/01/27
Date: 1999-01-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

David C. Hoos, Sr. wrote:

> Hear what RM95 says:
>
> S�Value For every scalar subtype S:
>
> S�Value denotes a function with the following specification:
>
> function S'Value(Arg : String)
> return S'Base
>
> This function returns a value given an image of the value as a String,
> ignoring any leading or trailing spaces. See 3.5.

 This is true in Ada 95, but NOT Ada 83. The Ada 83 LRM states:

        P'value -  For a prefix P that denotes a discrete type or subtype.

The original poster did not say whether he was using Ada83 or Ada95, so I guess
we are both correct.

This does though raise an interesting point though (assuming that the same rules
apply to the image attribute), how does Ada95 decide on the string
representation of a floating point number for the image attribute ? i.e. how
many decimal places to display and whether to display an exponent, particulaly
where the float can be represented without an exponent (e.g. 0.1234). My guess
is that this is compiler dependant, does anyone know different ?