From: Al Christians <achrist@easystreet.com>
Subject: Re: Gnat 3.11 whinings
Date: 1999/01/26
Date: 1999-01-26T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

robert_dewar@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I would suggest that discussions which are specific to
> GNAT will probably be more fruitful on chat@gnat.com.

You are right again, Robert.  Someone posted a more succinct version
of my question there and got what looks to be a complete and explicit
answer explaining how to build Windows DLL's with GNAT.  Hooray
and thanks.

To continue what I was saying in reference to the 'making Ada popular'
thread (which is why I decided to post my gnat wuestion here), this
is a big step ahead for GNAT and Ada.  As Jerry van Dijk noted, the
Ada tools market is (only!) $100 million.  Given software companies
might
aim for $1 million of revenue per employee if they are selling at
mass-market and competitive prices with healthy marketing budgets, that
would mean that the entire Ada tools industry can only support on the
order of 100 employees (more if expenses, wages, and profits are
lower).
This gives a pretty good indication that it will be a long time before
Ada has everything that everybody wants (The development team for MSVC++
was more than 100 people).   So the ability to put code into DLL's, to
give more chance forr Ada to do the things that it does well as part of
a multi-language system looks important  to getting Ada into more common
usage.

Kudos.

Al