From: The Bohemian Monk <lgicwvrs@wctc.net>
Subject: Re: Processor Synchronization
Date: 1999/01/21
Date: 1999-01-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

After reading all the thread ... damn guys wake up.  A processor as
simple as the 8088 has bus sync signals to allow multiple processors on
a single buss, or a single memory.  Software does little for
multiprocessing, hardware does the most, unless you program embedded in
something like Forth.  With non-buss-master processesors you can use a
PAL to envoke wait-states based on buss signals, all in hardware with
simple memory table semaphores for access control.

Marin David Condic wrote:

> I am preparing an in-house class on embedded system executives and I
> want to present a comprehensive overview of different designs. One of
> the areas I want to cover is processor synchronization. I am looking for
> a book or other reference material that discusses techniques for
> synchronizing independent processors. Specifically, I am interested in
> techniques used when building dual (or multiple) channel systems with
> relatively primitive communication between the two channels. (discrete
> lines, Manchester data link, etc.) Information pertaining to use of
> operating systems (e.g. Unix) and distributed systems may be interesting
> but not useful in this case.
>
> The most general description of the problem domain I can come up with is
> this: The problem is at power-up, you have to get both processors
> ticking off at the same "heartbeat" so that they have the same frame of
> reference. Generally, you're going to have N cycles (frames, slots,
> whatever your favorite terminology is) and it is important that both
> processors be operating on cycle X at the same time. Once running, the
> processors have to detect drift in their cycling and correct for this so
> that they continue to both start on the same cycle at the same time. We
> have done this sort of thing in-house, but I'm looking for a discussion
> of a variety of algorithms and some analysis of the strengths &
> weaknesses of each.
>
> If anybody has a favorite book, article or web-page on this subject, I
> would appreciate hearing about it. Thanks.
>
> MDC
> --
> Marin David Condic
> Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis
> United Technologies, Pratt & Whitney, Large Military Engines
> M/S 731-95, P.O.B. 109600, West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600
> Ph: 561.796.8997         Fx: 561.796.4669
> ***To reply, remove "bogon" from the domain name.***
>
>     "Nobody shot me."
>
>         --  Last words of Frank Gusenberg when asked by police who
>             shot him fourteen times with a machine gun in the Saint
>             Valentine's Day Massacre.

 Christopher Passauer                 Logic Weavers
 Kerri Dean                           lgicwvrs@wctc.net
 715\421-4305