From: Lionel Draghi <LioDraghi@filnet.fr>
To: Nasser Kettani <nkettani@Rational.Com>
Subject: Re: UML to Ada mapping
Date: 1999/01/16
Date: 1999-01-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Nasser Kettani wrote:

> NO NO NO NO.
>
> I have never said that Rose allows Round Trip Engineering (RTE) for Ada.
>
>              I was proud to say exactly the contrary.

Ok, i apologize to spread my misunderstanding.

> I reacted to Softeam saying that RTE was EASY for Ada since they claim RTE
> support
> for C++ and Java.
> And my reaction was to say that for Ada, it is quite difficult and Rose
> does not
> support it.
>
> However, there might be some misunderstanding regarding RTE definiion.
>
> Our definition of RTE is that we maintain consistency between code and the
> UML model
> WHATEVER the user does. Especially, if the user modifies the code after
> generation
> and adds design information in the code as as a new class, a new association,
> a new inheritance relationship, ...
>
> In this case, talking about RTE for Ada is misleading.
>
> If your definition of RTE is
>         -1 model
>         -2 generate code
>         -3 modify code
>         -4 modify manually the model
>         -5 regenerate code and keep changes.
>
>                 so, Rose supports that for Ada95

I have no definition for RTE, but yours seems to be the best that one
can expect from a tool for the code generation point.
However, the process above described can be also effective.
It is a reasonable constraint to do, as described by Sylvain Wallez,
"structural" modifications in the tools, and coding details outside. I
had also a conclusive experience doing so with Intecs HOOD tools.
The important point, i think, is that the tools should be able to
import/export the code part outside of its scope without problems.

> Regards
>
> Nasser
>
> >Relating to your opinion on the UML and UML tools maturity, tools
> >providers obviously don't agree with you. Today, Nasser Ketani
> >(Rational) was proud to precise that Rose allows Round Trip Engineering
> >even with Ada, although it is not as obvious as in Java or C++.
> >

> Nasser Kettani

Lionel Draghi

http://ada.eu.org/gtkada/                              http://attac.org/