* Re: Versions of SEI CMM
       [not found] <780669810snz@copse.demon.co.uk>
@ 1994-09-27 15:33 ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1994-09-27 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <780669810snz@copse.demon.co.uk>,
Eoin Woods <Eoin@copse.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Does anyone know the planned development of the SEI model (in vague terms
>at least)?
>
>I know about 1.0 and that 1.1 was made official in Feb 1993 - is there a
>version 1.2 being planned? I had an idea that I saw such an announcement
>some time ago, then again ...??

Yes, I believe there is.  The new CMM will include negative numbers,
to account for the practices of several large software houses,
particularly those in the personal computer market.  The holdup, it
is rumored, is just _how many_ negative numbers to use.  Given the
state of practice in many American programming shops, the current
value is at -18, but the final decision is on hold -- there appears
to be some discussion about adding a few more values below that now
that the findings from the Microsoft survey have come in.

(Smiley should be contextually evident)

--
Proud (and vocal) member of Team Ada! (and Team OS/2)        ||This is not your
   	      Ada -- Very Cool.  Doesn't Suck.               ||  father's Ada

* Re: Versions of SEI CMM
@ 1994-09-28 13:33   ` Eoin Woods
From: Eoin Woods @ 1994-09-28 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <369e08$an8@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM>
           dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM "David Weller" writes:

> Yes, I believe there is.  The new CMM will include negative numbers,
> to account for the practices of several large software houses,
> particularly those in the personal computer market.  The holdup, it
> is rumored, is just _how many_ negative numbers to use.  Given the
> state of practice in many American programming shops, the current
> value is at -18, but the final decision is on hold -- there appears
> to be some discussion about adding a few more values below that now
> that the findings from the Microsoft survey have come in.
>
> (Smiley should be contextually evident)
On this subject (of -ve CMM ratings!) I vaguely seem to remember a
humourous paper in (I think) Software Engineering Notes that presented
a new CMM with negative levels!

I can't find it now - does anyone know where it is??

Eoin.
--
Eoin Woods, LBMS Plc, Evelyn House, 62 Oxford Street, London W1N 9LF, UK
            Tel: +44-71-636-4213  Email: Eoin@copse.demon.co.uk