From: "E. Robert Tisdale" <edwin@netwood.net>
Subject: Re: Future of Ada?
Date: 1999/01/13
Date: 1999-01-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Jim wrote:

> I am just wondering what those who frequent
> this news group think about the future of Ada.
> I've heard a lot of talk that Ada is kind of dying out
> and that not even the military is using it any more.
> Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

There is enormous resistance to Ada
in some high performance application domains
such as digital signal and image processing.
DARPA/ITO sponsored the VSIP Forum

        http://www.vsip.org/

to develop a standard API for
Vector, Signal and Image Processing libraries.
They have specified an ANSI C language binding
and may eventually specify bindings
for other high level programming languages
but there doesn't seem to be any interest
in doing so at this time.
There doesn't appear to be any pressure yet
from the US Navy for an Ada language binding
and I don't think that there ever will be.
Many of the safety features provided by Ada
are incorporated into VSIP library functions
at compile or link time as options.

Bob Tisdale, <edwin@netwood.net>