* Uninstalling prev version of gnat
@ 2009-06-04  0:54 RasikaSrinivasan
From: RasikaSrinivasan @ 2009-06-04  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

all

My system is Ubuntu 9.04

Following shows my installation version :
----------------------
srini@srini-laptop:~/Projects/Ada/lib$ which gnatmake
/usr/bin/gnatmake
srini@srini-laptop:~/Projects/Ada/lib$ gnatmake --version
GNATMAKE 4.3.3
Copyright (C) 1995-2007, Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
------------------------

Today (without checking above and making some wrong assumptions) I
installed the 09 version of gnat as shown here :

---------------
srini@srini-laptop:~/Projects/Ada/lib$ which gnatmake
/usr/gnat/bin/gnatmake
srini@srini-laptop:~/Projects/Ada/lib$ gnatmake --version
GNATMAKE GPL 2009 (20090519)
Copyright (C) 1995-2009, Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
-------------------------

I would like to uninstall my previous version and I had assumed the
install of the GPL 2009 will take care of that.

any case, Is there any gotchas involved in keeping both versions? Is
there an easy way to uninstal the previous version?

thanks for any clues,

srini
I originally had gnat 4.3.3

* Re: Uninstalling prev version of gnat
@ 2009-06-04  8:25 ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-06-04  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Install only adds the next version to your system. So try this:

Note: Do not delete "/usr/gnat" or any "/usr/gnat" subdirectories because
this contains the 2009 GNAT files.

All other gnat files can be delete.

4.3.3 binaries:   rm /usr/bin/gnat*

4.3.3 rts files do find / -name ada.ads
         then rm -r /<result from find>/gnat/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.3.3

But the best way is to delete all GNAT files and then reinstall the one you
want. Thios way you do not have any extra files floating around.

@ 2009-06-04  8:50   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-06-04  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

anon wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Install only adds the next version to your system. So try this:
>
> Note: Do not delete "/usr/gnat" or any "/usr/gnat" subdirectories because
> this contains the 2009 GNAT files.
>
> All other gnat files can be delete.
>
> 4.3.3 binaries:   rm /usr/bin/gnat*
>
> 4.3.3 rts files do find / -name ada.ads
>          then rm -r /<result from find>/gnat/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.3.3
>
> But the best way is to delete all GNAT files and then reinstall the one you
> want. Thios way you do not have any extra files floating around.
>
> Rasika Srinivasan writes:
>>My system is Ubuntu 9.04
>>srini@srini-laptop:~/Projects/Ada/lib$ which gnatmake
>>/usr/bin/gnatmake
[...]
>>Today (without checking above and making some wrong assumptions) I
>>installed the 09 version of gnat as shown here :
>>srini@srini-laptop:~/Projects/Ada/lib$ which gnatmake
>>/usr/gnat/bin/gnatmake
[...]
>>I would like to uninstall my previous version and I had assumed the
>>install of the GPL 2009 will take care of that.
>
>>any case, Is there any gotchas involved in keeping both versions? Is
>>there an easy way to uninstal the previous version?

Please do not listen to "anon", he obviously knows nothing about
Ubuntu.

The correct answers are:
- aptitude remove gnat gnat-4.3
- no, installing GNAT GPL 2009 does not remove anything previously
installed.
- no, there is nothing wrong with having both gnats installed.

PS. As the main (but not only) maintainer of Ada packages in Debian
(which Ubuntu uses), I am curious to know why you decided to switch
from the Debian packages to GNAT GPL 2009?

--
Ludovic Brenta.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

* Re: Uninstalling prev version of gnat
@ 2009-06-04 10:30     ` Srini -
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Srini - @ 2009-06-04 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jun 4, 4:50 am, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> anon wrote on comp.lang.ada:
>

> > Install only adds the next version to your system. So try this:
>
> > Note: Do not delete "/usr/gnat" or any "/usr/gnat" subdirectories because
> > this contains the 2009 GNAT files.
>
> > All other gnat files can be delete.
>
> > 4.3.3 binaries:   rm /usr/bin/gnat*
>
> > 4.3.3 rts files do find / -name ada.ads
> >          then rm -r /<result from find>/gnat/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.3.3
>
> > But the best way is to delete all GNAT files and then reinstall the one you
> > want. Thios way you do not have any extra files floating around.
>
> > Rasika Srinivasan writes:
> >>My system is Ubuntu 9.04
> >>srini@srini-laptop:~/Projects/Ada/lib$ which gnatmake
> >>/usr/bin/gnatmake
> [...]
> >>Today (without checking above and making some wrong assumptions) I
> >>installed the 09 version of gnat as shown here :
> >>srini@srini-laptop:~/Projects/Ada/lib$ which gnatmake
> >>/usr/gnat/bin/gnatmake
> [...]
> >>I would like to uninstall my previous version and I had assumed the
> >>install of the GPL 2009 will take care of that.
>
> >>any case, Is there any gotchas involved in keeping both versions? Is
> >>there an easy way to uninstal the previous version?
>
> Please do not listen to "anon", he obviously knows nothing about
> Ubuntu.
>
> The correct answers are:
> - aptitude remove gnat gnat-4.3
> - no, installing GNAT GPL 2009 does not remove anything previously
> installed.
> - no, there is nothing wrong with having both gnats installed.
>
> PS. As the main (but not only) maintainer of Ada packages in Debian
> (which Ubuntu uses), I am curious to know why you decided to switch
> from the Debian packages to GNAT GPL 2009?
>
> --
> Ludovic Brenta.
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.

Only reason (s) -

- some packages i dearly wanted to experiment with did not build off
the shelf. Both polyorb and AWS gave me troubles. Was a bit
preoccupied with other things so could not troubleshoot the issues.

- Wanted to experiment with eclipse instead of my current emacs based
environment. but just could not get the ada support installed. again
didnt know enough about the design of eclipse plugins.

Basically an attempt to start on a clean slate.

thanks, srini

* Re: Uninstalling prev version of gnat
@ 2009-06-04 11:59     ` anon
From: anon @ 2009-06-04 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

That kinds of sounding like a HATE CRIME!!!

Top posting gives to the answer instead of forcing someone to re-read all of
the previous info. No one needs to spend their time reading and re-reading the
same old stuff they have seen or posted to get to the answer. They want
the answer as quick as possible! I have seen threads that have over 100
replies taking 1000s of lines that one have to go over just to read the
latest entry. And a lot of times it a one word answer or someone changing the
thread topic.   Plus, top posting builds the answer from the ground up.  The
way all answers are suppose to be, that is:

     Response from questionee
     Answer 1 at level 2
     Answer 0 at level 1
     Question at level 0

Bottom posting is like reading most mag. The 100 last pages or so are only
just ads, that no one wants to see.

@ 2009-06-06 16:45     ` björn lundin
From: björn lundin @ 2009-06-06 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> PS. As the main (but not only) maintainer of Ada packages in Debian
> (which Ubuntu uses), I am curious to know why you decided to switch
> from the Debian packages to GNAT GPL 2009?

Ludovic, what is the main difference between the ACT package and the
FSF ones, in debian or ubuntu?
Is there something published, that explains the difference?
Is ACT pushing fixes to FSF, and is FSF fixes making it to ACT?

I know of the support differences, my company was until recently a
support customer to ACT,
 but I wonder from a technical point of view.

/Björn
--
Björn Lundin

* Re: Uninstalling prev version of gnat
@ 2009-06-06 21:33       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-06-06 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Installing

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Uninstalling prev version of gnat
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-06-07  0:31     ` Brian Drummond
From: Brian Drummond @ 2009-06-07  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 01:50:14 -0700 (PDT), Ludovic Brenta
<ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:

>PS. As the main (but not only) maintainer of Ada packages in Debian
>(which Ubuntu uses), I am curious to know why you decided to switch
>from the Debian packages to GNAT GPL 2009?

Do the Debian packages support the new "-fdump-ada-spec" switch?
Or is there a planned timescale for supporting this?

- Brian (with a new laptop on its way and a Lenny disk waiting...)

* Re: Uninstalling prev version of gnat
@ 2009-06-07 10:22       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2009-06-07 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Drummond wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Do the Debian packages support the new "-fdump-ada-spec" switch?
> Or is there a planned timescale for supporting this?
>
> - Brian (with a new laptop on its way and a Lenny disk waiting...)

Not yet.  Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has GCC 4.3 with Ada support; the option -
fdump-ada-spec is new in GNAT GPL 2009. AdaCore has not yet merged it
into the trunk of GCC, which will become GCC 4.5 in due course, but
they merged the documentation (GNAT User's Guide) on 2009-04-17[1]
(this means that the doc and the implementation are out of sync for
the time being).

[1] svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk@146266

The next version of Debian, code-named "Squeeze", will have GCC 4.4 as
its Ada compiler, so it will not support -fdump-ada-specs.  If and
when AdaCore merge the implementation of the new options into GCC, I
will review the patches and consider backporting them into GCC 4.4 if
they're not too intrusive.  Help would be welcome on that.

I plan to stabilize GCC 4.4 in Debian in August 2009 (i.e. six months
after the release of Lenny).  I will then spend the next 6 months
migrating and upgrading the other Ada packages.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Uninstalling prev version of gnat
@ 2009-06-07 12:20         ` björn lundin
From: björn lundin @ 2009-06-07 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Installing

Very interesting reading, don't know how I missed it
/Björn
--
Björn Lundin