From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: Uninstalling prev version of gnat
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 03:22:05 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-06-07T03:22:05-07:00	[thread overview]

Brian Drummond wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Do the Debian packages support the new "-fdump-ada-spec" switch?
> Or is there a planned timescale for supporting this?
>
> - Brian (with a new laptop on its way and a Lenny disk waiting...)

Not yet.  Debian 5.0 "Lenny" has GCC 4.3 with Ada support; the option -
fdump-ada-spec is new in GNAT GPL 2009. AdaCore has not yet merged it
into the trunk of GCC, which will become GCC 4.5 in due course, but
they merged the documentation (GNAT User's Guide) on 2009-04-17[1]
(this means that the doc and the implementation are out of sync for
the time being).

[1] svn://gcc.gnu.org/svn/gcc/trunk@146266

The next version of Debian, code-named "Squeeze", will have GCC 4.4 as
its Ada compiler, so it will not support -fdump-ada-specs.  If and
when AdaCore merge the implementation of the new options into GCC, I
will review the patches and consider backporting them into GCC 4.4 if
they're not too intrusive.  Help would be welcome on that.

I plan to stabilize GCC 4.4 in Debian in August 2009 (i.e. six months
after the release of Lenny).  I will then spend the next 6 months
migrating and upgrading the other Ada packages.

--
Ludovic Brenta.