From: Michael Bates <mikeb@ssd.fsi.com>
Subject: Re: Is there a "makedepend" equivalent that works with GNAT?
Date: 1998/12/17
Date: 1998-12-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

David C. Hoos wrote:

> Michael Bates wrote in message <3677F5DF.4D8F@ssd.fsi.com>...
> >Using GNAT 3.11b on SGI IRIX 6.5:
> >
> >Because I need to integrate Ada compilation into an existing system
> >of makefiles which we use to compile C and Fortran source, I need
> >something like "makedepend" to generate dependency rules for Ada files
> >to match GNAT's compilation model.
> >
> >Before someone says, "just use gnatmake", let me say that there are
> >things I need to be able to do with the source, object, and .ali files
> >that gnatmake doesn't know how to do.  For example, I need the makefile
> >to be smart enough to try to check a file it needs (e.g., an Ada spec,
> >or a subunit) out of RCS if it doesn't see it in the current directory.
> >
> >So my question is:  Does anyone have a script or program to generate
> >such dependency rules?
>
> Have you tried gnatmake -M <main-unit-name> on an up-to-date library?

Yes -- I should have mentioned that in my initial message -- and it
won't
work for two reasons:

1.  I need to know the dependencies so that I can make the library
-- specifically so that I can check spec and subunit files out of
RCS when they are needed to compile a body.

2.  The main procedure of the program I'm building is not written in
Ada.  The Ada I'm compiling is a library of modules to be called from
legacy software.  gnatmake -M won't work unless you have a main program.

So the question remains: Is there something that does for GNAT what
makedepend does for C?

Thanks,
Mike Bates
FlightSafety Simulation