From: party@wantree.com.au (_Gareth_)
Subject: Gnat 3.10p (.rpm version) + Redhat 5.2 = Not working (I'm new to this)
Date: 1998/12/13
Date: 1998-12-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Hi all!

The installation of the .rpm version of Gnat 3.10p worked fine on
RedHat 5.2. (No error messages).

I then went into the /user/doc/ directory and read the "README.redhat"
file, which asked to do two things (one was to fix the path). I've
only had Linux on my system for two days, so I'm not sure about how to
change the path, or even where it's stored... (/etc/profile I
believe).

The README.redhat file gave two commands (such as "export
path=....").... Do I simply copy & paste these to the command prompt
and hit enter?

When I try to "make" the example versions, I receive the following
error:

====
[root@localhost examples]# make
gnatmake hello -cargs -O2
gcc -c -O2 hello.adb
gcc: hello.adb: linker input file unused since linking not done
gnatmake: "hello.ali" WARNING file not found after compile
./hello < hello.rsp
/bin/sh: ./hello: No such file or directory
make: *** [hello] Error 126
[root@localhost examples]#
====

When I try to "gnatmake" my own ada files, I get the line "gcc:
file.ad*: linker input file unused since linking not done".

What is the problem? What does it mean by linking not done?

Can someone *please* point this "newbie" in the right direction?

Many thanks,
Gareth Forward