From: Marin David Condic <condicma@bogon.pwfl.com>
Subject: Re: Ada routine to compute Internal Rate Of Return
Date: 1998/12/10
Date: 1998-12-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Michael F Brenner wrote:

> While Ada is a cool language, it is interesting to note that
> two of the spreadsheets I have on my computers have an IRR function.
>
> One of these spreadsheets should be accessible through the
> recently posted COM interface, so one way to do it in Ada might be
> to use Ada through COM to ask the spreadsheet to do it for you, if
> that COM interface can handle this.

Well, if all I wanted was an answer, this would work. But then, most of
these business calculations are possible to get out of a spreadsheet -
why bother to write Ada at all? One part is intellectual exercise. The
remaining part is the need to develop some code where I don't know what
the ultimate target will be. (I don't want it to depend on someone
else's software) I'm using it in connection with a class I'm doing in
Finance & want to try simulating something that needs this calculation.
If what I'm doing works, I want to be able to pass the code around and
don't want to have it limited to only PC's with Excel (or whatever)
installed.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Real Time & Embedded Systems, Propulsion Systems Analysis

"Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman
she meets and then teams up with three complete strangers to kill
again."

        -- TV listing for the Wizard of Oz