* gcc Arg List Too Long
@ 1998-11-18  0:00 Anthony E. Glover
From: Anthony E. Glover @ 1998-11-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

When trying to build my executable, I get an error from gcc
during the link phase that says my argument list is too long.
Is there anyway to get around this without building archives?
Does anyone have a step-by-step explanation of how to build
and use archives in the gnat process?

Thanks,
Tony
aeg@hiwaay.net
glover@thaad.tecmasters.com

[-- Attachment #2: Card for Anthony E. Glover --]

begin:          vcard
fn:             Anthony E. Glover
n:              Glover;Anthony E.
org:            ELMCO, Inc.
email;internet: aeg@hiwaay.net
title:          Senior Software Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

* Re: gcc Arg List Too Long
@ 1998-11-19  0:00 ` Pete Norton
From: Pete Norton @ 1998-11-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anthony E. Glover wrote:

> When trying to build my executable, I get an error from gcc
> during the link phase that says my argument list is too long.
> Is there anyway to get around this without building archives?
> Does anyone have a step-by-step explanation of how to build
> and use archives in the gnat process?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony
> aeg@hiwaay.net
> glover@thaad.tecmasters.com

>   Anthony E. Glover <aeg@hiwaay.net>
>   Senior Software Engineer
>   ELMCO, Inc.
>
>   Anthony E. Glover
>   Senior Software Engineer  <aeg@hiwaay.net>
>   ELMCO, Inc.
>                             Netscape Conference Address
>                             Netscape Conference DLS Server
>   Additional Information:
>   Last Name   Glover
>   First Name  Anthony E.
>   Version     2.1

 Do you use gnatmake for your builds ?  We have some 2500 object files, and
growing, and build without any problem.

Pete.

--
Pete Norton
Marconi Electronic Systems

* Re: gcc Arg List Too Long
@ 1998-11-22  0:00   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1998-11-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pete Norton <pete.norton@gecm.com> writes:

> Anthony E. Glover wrote:
>
> > When trying to build my executable, I get an error from gcc
> > during the link phase that says my argument list is too long.
> > Is there anyway to get around this without building archives?
> > Does anyone have a step-by-step explanation of how to build
> > and use archives in the gnat process?
>
>  Do you use gnatmake for your builds ?  We have some 2500 object files, and
> growing, and build without any problem.

I think this depends on the OS? no trouble, I think, on Solaris or
Linux, but others (HP????) have problems ..

If I remember right, an upcoming release of GNAT will handle this
problem for you.

* Re: gcc Arg List Too Long
@ 1998-11-24  0:00 ` Anthony E. Glover
From: Anthony E. Glover @ 1998-11-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)