From: al johnston <johnstona@avionics2.robins.af.mil>
Subject: Re: ??? Help!: how to do unconstraned arrays/records???
Date: 1998/11/05
Date: 1998-11-05T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

> Why are you using an obsolete language at this stage. I can understand the
> cases of large scale legacy projects that committed some time ago to the
> technology, but it is hard to believe that this is your case.

we have 500k of 83 code for an embedded system.  we build on a solaris
box, and the target is a force 2ce (sparc2) cpu card using vxWorks.

I have been unable to find a ada compiler vendor intrested in supporting
this configuration.  We are using VadsWorks which is now owned
by rational.... and surprizingly they were not intrested in providing
a version of there ada compiler (apex i think) even though they
already have a "native" compiler for the sparc....  really pissed me of
since they are the ones who killed vadsworks.

gnat sounded promisig, but I would have to port the ada runtime
for vxworks myself...  The real kicker was the screwy way
gnat does makes and handles file names and preprocessor directives.
well, its screwie relitive to the vads handles them.  it looks like it
would tak 6-8 man months to get ported to gnat, most of that spent
reformating files and creating make files....right now
the time is not there...

If you know something that I dont... please let me know!!!

-al