From: Al Christians <achrist@easystreet.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT Library Reference. Where can I find it?
Date: 1998/11/03
Date: 1998-11-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Schien wrote:

> I want to learn programming in Ada 95. The compiler I'm using
> is GNAT. It seems to be quite powerful and I think the
> GNAT people are doing a good job. The platforms I'm using
> are FreeBSD and Win95/NT.
>
> Of course, there is a lot of information available (www.adahome.com).
> But what I am missing is a reference manual about the library (
> standard routines). It seems to be contained in the online RM95 manual
> but unfortunately it is NOT in the tar-file gnat-3.10p-src.tar.gz,

Try AdaGide.  See:

http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/adagide.html

It is an Ada IDE (runs on Win95/NT) with an Ada LRM reachable from the
help menu. The index and searching capabilities are about as good as
typical for help files, which is that it never finds much of what I'm
looking for. But once you have used it for a little while, you will
likely have a  pretty good idea which part(s) of the LRM apply, and it
has not been a problem for me.  It's nicer than looking at the book,
which is also pleasingly printed.

[ This brings up a related question, wouldn't it be nice if AdaGide had
GNAT documentation reachable from the Help menu? ]

A few years ago, the Ada Information Clearinghouse or the Ada Joint
Program Office passed out free printed Ada 95 LRM's  and printed copies
of the _Ada_95_Rationale_, which explains some of the things in the
LRM.  IDK if you can still get these from that source, but I do
sometimes see copies in used bookstores.

Al