From: Al Christians <achrist@easystreet.com>
Subject: Re: Long Float Error from Gnat
Date: 1998/11/01
Date: 1998-11-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

dewarr@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> GNAT chat is also not the place to post bug reports. We never take bug reports
> from either CLA or from chat, only from explicit mail to report@gnat.com.

Sure.  I didn't expect that I was going to report a bug via GNAT chat.
When I wrote my posting here, I had not concluded that I had even found
a bug.  I was only posting something curious and Ada-related that I
did not understand.  This newsgroup seemed to me the most likely place
for me to learn more about what I was seeing.  That worked.

I have not written a bug report on this item -- one of the first
report". Another was "it's fixed". Given that reply, I don't I will
submit a bug report.

Even not given that reply, I don't know if I would have submitted
a bug report.  As I remember reading it, probably second hand, so
correct me if I'm wrong, ACT's customers pay not less than $600/month
to be ACT's customers, and I pay nothing.  I expect that at least some
of them read this newsgroup and would see my posting.  They obviously
have some far more significant interest than me in having GNAT programs
produce correct results.  If they can live with a system with this flaw
that only shows up for numbers of magnitude around 1E-30 and less, and
if none of those customers with their CMM software processes have found
this problem that I unearthed within about 1 month of starting to use
GNAT day-to-day for real work in my 1-person operation, and if none of
them would ask ACT to fix it, who am I to complain?

Al