* GNAT Irix 6.2 Binaries
@ 1998-10-20  0:00 Chris
From: Chris @ 1998-10-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anyone know where I can get hold of GNAT Binaries (v3.09 or 3.10) for
SGI Irix6.2? All I ever seem to find are releases for Irix5.3.

TIA,

Chris.

* Re: GNAT Irix 6.2 Binaries
@ 1998-10-23  0:00 ` Christopher Green
From: Christopher Green @ 1998-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris wrote:

> Anyone know where I can get hold of GNAT Binaries (v3.09 or 3.10) for
> SGI Irix6.2? All I ever seem to find are releases for Irix5.3.
>
> TIA,
>
> Chris.

There's one in IRIX inst format at
ftp://sgigate.sgi.com/pub/Ada/gnat-3.09

It still generates "old 32-bit" object
code; I don't know of any GNAT port that
can generate "new 32-bit" or 64-bit code
on IRIX.

This port will run on IRIX 6.2, which is
not the case for most GNAT ports on SGI.

--
Chris Green
Advanced Technology Center

* Re: GNAT Irix 6.2 Binaries
@ 1998-10-25  0:00   ` dewar
From: dewar @ 1998-10-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3631720B.D0773D4E@concentric.net>,
  cjrgreen@concentric.net wrote:
> Chris wrote:

> There's one in IRIX inst format at
> ftp://sgigate.sgi.com/pub/Ada/gnat-3.09
>
> It still generates "old 32-bit" object
> code; I don't know of any GNAT port that
> can generate "new 32-bit" or 64-bit code
> on IRIX.

The latest SGI distribution of GNAT allows user selection of o32, n32 or n64
modes. Note that because many third party libraries are still only available
in o32 form, that many users of GNAT still are constrained to o32.

The standard ACT release is o32 only. We have successfully built and tested
an n32 release, and we are working towards the full release of this version.
The difficulty is not in the compiler itself, but in the tools, most notably
GDB, which is not yet available for n32 mode (the SGI distribution is setup
to use Workshop, the SGI debugging environment).

> This port will run on IRIX 6.2, which is
> not the case for most GNAT ports on SGI.

This is false. All ACT distributions of GNAT for the SGI will run on IRIX
6.2, and indeed most of our customers are running on IRIX 6.2/3/5 at this
stage. There is a special directive required for running on IRIX 6. Consult
that chat archives at gnat.com for past discussions of this requirement.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

> --
> Chris Green
> Advanced Technology Center
> Laguna Hills, California

* Re: GNAT Irix 6.2 Binaries
@ 1998-10-27  0:00     ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 1998-10-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@gnat.com wrote:

>The latest SGI distribution of GNAT allows user selection of o32, n32 or
>n64 modes.

As a matter of interest, how do you define which choice you want to make?
Having looked at the documentation on the system I am using, I can find
no mention of this. Am I out-of-date?

--
Best Regards
John McCabe

* Re: GNAT Irix 6.2 Binaries
@ 1998-10-28  0:00       ` dewar
From: dewar @ 1998-10-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <714per$vl4@gcsin3.geccs.gecm.com>,
  John McCabe <john@assen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> dewar@gnat.com wrote:
>
> >The latest SGI distribution of GNAT allows user selection of o32, n32 or
> >n64 modes.
>
> As a matter of interest, how do you define which choice you want to make?
> Having looked at the documentation on the system I am using, I can find
> no mention of this. Am I out-of-date?

This is fully described in the documentation provided by SGI with the latest
version. If your documentation does not describe this, you probably do not
have the latest release. Consult your SGI sales person.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: GNAT Irix 6.2 Binaries
@ 1998-10-28  0:00         ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 1998-10-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert,

dewar@gnat.com wrote:
>  John McCabe <john@assen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> dewar@gnat.com wrote:

>> >The latest SGI distribution of GNAT allows user selection of o32, n32 >> >or n64 modes.

>> As a matter of interest, how do you define which choice you want to
>> make? Having looked at the documentation on the system I am using, I
>> can find no mention of this. Am I out-of-date?

>This is fully described in the documentation provided by SGI with the
>latest version. If your documentation does not describe this, you
>probably do not have the latest release. Consult your SGI sales person.

Thank you for that concise answer. It would certainly appear to be the
case that I do not have the latest release so I will take it up with
those responsible.