* Ada and C++
@ 1998-10-19  0:00 Srinivasan, R
From: Srinivasan, R @ 1998-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

folks

Has anyone got a Win NT setup where they are using gnat and c++? I am
attempting using gnu win32 beta b19 and gnat 3.10p. Any advise/directions
would be deeply appreciated.

regards

srini

* Re: Ada and C++
@ 1998-10-19  0:00 ` K. Mathias
From: K. Mathias @ 1998-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Srini,

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but the latest version of
pcGRASP allows you to set up compile environments such that you can use GNAT
and Cygnus' gnuwin32 in the same session.  Install it, configure the
environments to match your install directories and you're set.

Freely available at:  www.eng.auburn.edu/grasp

- Karl Mathias

Srinivasan, R wrote in message <70gn22$594$1@nw003t.infi.net>...
>folks
>
>Has anyone got a Win NT setup where they are using gnat and c++? I am
>attempting using gnu win32 beta b19 and gnat 3.10p. Any advise/directions
>would be deeply appreciated.
>
>regards
>
>srini

* Re: Ada and C++
@ 1998-10-20  0:00 ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1998-10-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Srinivasan, R (gitas@roanoke.infi.net) wrote:

: Has anyone got a Win NT setup where they are using gnat and c++? I am
: attempting using gnu win32 beta b19 and gnat 3.10p. Any advise/directions
: would be deeply appreciated.

Using GRASP might be a solution for you. Some additional notes:

Because of cygnus licencing constraints, the NT version of GNAT is
no longer based on their win32 environment, instead using the mingw32
environment. The latter is a really a direct binding to the Win32 C
runtime library.

To use GNAT with a g++ compiler you need a g++ that has also been
build for the same environment. This compiler does of course exists,
but is based upon gcc 2.8.1.

You could take your changes combining the two, but I would advise waiting
for GNAT 3.11p, which will most likely also be based upon 2.8.x.

Jerry.

--
-- Jerry van Dijk  | email: jdijk@acm.org
-- Leiden, Holland | member Team-Ada

* Re: Ada and C++
@ 1998-10-22  0:00     ` Corey Minyard
From: Corey Minyard @ 1998-10-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Geoff Bull <gbull@acenet.com.au> writes:

> > Srinivasan, R (gitas@roanoke.infi.net) wrote:
> >
> > : Has anyone got a Win NT setup where they are using gnat and c++? I am
> > : attempting using gnu win32 beta b19 and gnat 3.10p. Any advise/directions
> > : would be deeply appreciated.
> >

> Is there is a good reason the standard gnat binary distributions come without
> C++ built?
> This makes it harder to introduce Ada by stealth!
> It also means that someone who must have C++ but would LIKE Ada
> might just give up on the latter rather than try make two versions of gcc
> coexist.

Just recompile GNAT following the instructions and add "c++" to the
list of languages.  It works great.  You don't have to give up, you
just have to do a little work.

--
Corey Minyard               Internet:  minyard@acm.org
  Work: minyard@nortel.ca       UUCP:  minyard@wf-rch.cirr.com

* Re: Ada and C++
@ 1998-10-23  0:00   ` Geoff Bull
From: Geoff Bull @ 1998-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1998-10-23  0:00       ` Larry Elmore
From: Larry Elmore @ 1998-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Corey Minyard wrote in message ...
>Geoff Bull <gbull@acenet.com.au> writes:
>
>> > Srinivasan, R (gitas@roanoke.infi.net) wrote:
>> >
>> > : Has anyone got a Win NT setup where they are using gnat and c++? I am
>> > : attempting using gnu win32 beta b19 and gnat 3.10p. Any
advise/directions
>> > : would be deeply appreciated.
>> >

>> Is there is a good reason the standard gnat binary distributions come
without
>> C++ built?
>> This makes it harder to introduce Ada by stealth!
>> It also means that someone who must have C++ but would LIKE Ada
>> might just give up on the latter rather than try make two versions of gcc
>> coexist.
>
>Just recompile GNAT following the instructions and add "c++" to the
>list of languages.  It works great.  You don't have to give up, you
>just have to do a little work.

It certainly would be easier, though, if there was also a C/C++/Ada binary
distributed. I'm actually a bit surprised it isn't, since C++ is so popular.
It would certainly make life easier for a lot of people. G++ has been broken
on the CS server at my school for over a year (so DEC's cxx is used, and g++
just sits there taking up space...), and I know there are other cases. _Why_
it hasn't simply been recompiled, I don't know. I've been meaning to
inquire, but it keeps slipping my mind...

Larry

* Re: Ada and C++
@ 1998-10-23  0:00       ` Baptiste MALGUY
From: Baptiste MALGUY @ 1998-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: minyard

Corey Minyard wrote:

> Geoff Bull <gbull@acenet.com.au> writes:
>
> > > Srinivasan, R (gitas@roanoke.infi.net) wrote:
> > >
> > > : Has anyone got a Win NT setup where they are using gnat and c++? I am
> > > : attempting using gnu win32 beta b19 and gnat 3.10p. Any advise/directions
> > > : would be deeply appreciated.
> > >

> > Is there is a good reason the standard gnat binary distributions come without
> > C++ built?
> > This makes it harder to introduce Ada by stealth!
> > It also means that someone who must have C++ but would LIKE Ada
> > might just give up on the latter rather than try make two versions of gcc
> > coexist.
>
> Just recompile GNAT following the instructions and add "c++" to the
> list of languages.  It works great.  You don't have to give up, you
> just have to do a little work.

Ok for recompile this, but do recompile the compiler exactly ?
I'm not very goot at this job !
Could explain it precisely as you've done it ?
Under which OS ? (I'm lookin' for NT/98 and Linux, kernel 2.0.31 if it
has any importance ).

 Baptiste MALGUY - Etudiant 2eme Annee   __|_
 IUT Bayonne - Dept Informatique        |__|_|
                                        |    |
 malguy@iutbay.univ-pau.fr              |____|
 http://members.tripod.com/~malguy