* !!! WHERE CAN I FIND A GOOD FREE ADA 83 OR 95 COMPILER FOR MY PC ??? !!!
@ 1998-10-19  0:00 Eric HILAIRE
From: Eric HILAIRE @ 1998-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I'm looking for an ADA compiler for my PC (I'm more interested in the
95 version but the 83 one will be a good beginning for me!)
thanXXX.

eric.hilaire@magic.fr

* Re: !!! WHERE CAN I FIND A GOOD FREE ADA 83 OR 95 COMPILER FOR MY PC ??? !!!
@ 1998-10-19  0:00 ` dewar
From: dewar @ 1998-10-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <362b9f57.1365959@nntp.magic.fr>,
  eric.hilaire@magic.fr (Eric HILAIRE) wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for an ADA compiler for my PC (I'm more interested in the
> 95 version but the 83 one will be a good beginning for me!)
> thanXXX.

It seems appropriate for me to answer this, in view of the thread about
"GNAT Free?" that has recently appeared :-)

Yes indeed Eric, there is a freely available Ada 95 compiler, GNAT. This is a
full featured Ada 95 compiler (indeed GNAT is so far the only available Ada 95
compiler that implements the core and all the optional annexes(*)). You can
download a version from many FTP sites, including ftp directories pub/gnat at
cs.nyu.edu. Many PC versions are available, for various operating systems,
including Linux, OS/2, Win95, and WIN/NT.

There is definitely no point in looking at Ada 83 at this point (and
interestingly, there never was a practical freely available version of
Ada 83, one of the great pities in retrospect!)

(*) I am looking forward to the point in time when we can no longer say this.
It would be really nice to see the other Ada vendors implement all the
optional annexes. In particular, it would be really nice to see other
implementations of the distributed systems annex. I think this is a very
exciting feature of Ada 95 with tremendous potential, but the full potential
is not realized unless all Ada 95 compilers implement this feature. In
particular, the distribution annex offers a path for convenient integration
of Ada programs across multiple machines using different Ada compilers.

Robert Dewar
Ada Core Technologies

* Re: !!! WHERE CAN I FIND A GOOD FREE ADA 83 OR 95 COMPILER FOR MY PC ??? !!!
@ 1998-10-20  0:00 ` Pierre MORERE
From: Pierre MORERE @ 1998-10-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric HILAIRE

Hi,
you could download OA for NT from
http://www.aonix.com/Products/CSDS/ada.download.html
If you want to receive a CDROM version of this compiler send me your
address.

From: dennison @ 1998-10-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <70gdb4$bdb$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  dewar@gnat.com wrote:

> It would be really nice to see the other Ada vendors implement all the
> optional annexes. In particular, it would be really nice to see other
> implementations of the distributed systems annex. I think this is a very
> exciting feature of Ada 95 with tremendous potential, but the full potential
> is not realized unless all Ada 95 compilers implement this feature. In
> particular, the distribution annex offers a path for convenient integration
> of Ada programs across multiple machines using different Ada compilers.

Does it really offer that kind of interoprability? According to my reading of
annex E it does not.

But given that no-one else has implemented it yet, there does appear to be
time to create a standard such that it will work across compilers. Is this a
possiblity? If future vendors use GLADE as a base, it doesn't seem like it
would be too tough to accomplish.

--
T.E.D.

* Re: !!! WHERE CAN I FIND A GOOD FREE ADA 83 OR 95 COMPILER FOR MY PC ???  !!!
@ 1998-10-21  0:00 ` Pascal MALAISE
From: Pascal MALAISE @ 1998-10-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric HILAIRE wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm looking for an ADA compiler for my PC (I'm more interested in the
> 95 version but the 83 one will be a good beginning for me!)
> thanXXX.
Look at gnat on Linux :-)
Good and free.
--
Pascal MALAISE
(priv) mailto:malaise@magic.fr

* Re: Implementing Annex E (was: !!! WHERE CAN I FIND A GOOD FREE ADA 83 OR 95 COMPILER FOR MY PC ??? !!!)
@ 1998-10-23  0:00     ` Joseph Wisniewski
From: Joseph Wisniewski @ 1998-10-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Business is business. I desperately needed one of the ASIS annexes
that, as far as I know, no vendor implemented. At least no one knew
of any vendor who did. Rational, in essence told me that it would be
too difficult for the potential customer base, which Rational interpreted
as "Who has asked us for this." Answer: No one, you are the first.
Therefore there is no market. Now that determination of the "market
needs" can certainly be debated, the bottom line is the reason some of
the annexes don't get implemented is because someone has decided there
it isn't worth it.

Joe

:   dewar@gnat.com wrote:

[...]

: --
: T.E.D.

: http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

--
Joe Wisniewski
President, Commercial Software Solutions, Ltd.

Full Onsite/Offsite Software Engineering Consulting Services
Specializing in Embedded RealTime Applications and Training

4403 W. Chama Suite #101
Glendale, Arizona 85310

(Voice) 602-580-4008	888-229-7597
(Fax)   602-580-4010    888-568-8734
wisniew@primenet.com

Co-Author: Program Smarter, Not Harder.
           Get Mission-Critical Projects Right the First Time
           ISBN: 0-07-021232-5 McGraw-Hill

* Re: Implementing Annex E (was: !!! WHERE CAN I FIND A GOOD FREE ADA 83 OR 95 COMPILER FOR MY PC ??? !!!)
@ 1998-10-25  0:00       ` dewar
From: dewar @ 1998-10-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <70r00c$slp$1@nnrp02.primenet.com>,
  Joseph Wisniewski <wisniew@primenet.com> wrote:
> Business is business. I desperately needed one of the ASIS annexes
> that, as far as I know, no vendor implemented. At least no one knew
> of any vendor who did. Rational, in essence told me that it would be
> too difficult for the potential customer base, which Rational interpreted
> as "Who has asked us for this." Answer: No one, you are the first.
> Therefore there is no market. Now that determination of the "market
> needs" can certainly be debated, the bottom line is the reason some of
> the annexes don't get implemented is because someone has decided there
> it isn't worth it.
>
> Joe

Yes, of course this is most certainly true. And particularly in the case of
Annex E, the implementation effort is significant (we estimate that we have
spent something like 10-15 person years of effort in implementing Annex E).

By the way, you might want to communicate your ASIS needs to ACT. As far as
I know, we have implemented pretty much all of ASIS at this stage, certainly
we have implemented all annexes used by our customer base as far as I know.

Robert B. K. Dewar
Ada Core Technologies