From: Niklas Holsti <nholsti@icon.fi>
Subject: Re: Much 16 bit Ada useage?
Date: 1998/10/14
Date: 1998-10-14T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

John McCabe wrote:

> Mike Silva <mjsilva@jps.net> wrote:
> >Question from a non-Ada (but curious) type: is there much use of Ada in
> >the 16 bit world?  My specific interest (today) is the Siemens C167, but
> >I don't want to limit the question to that chip.  I'm asking because
> >I've only run across references to 32 bit chips so far.  Thanks.
>
> There is fairly significant use of Ada on projects using MIL-STD-1750A
> 16-bit processors such as the GPS MA31750, PACE1750A etc. The European
> Space Agency's Envisat program has the MA31750 listed as the recommended
> microprocessor, and Ada (from TLD :-( has been mandated for it.

Just a note that several other ESA satellites use the MA31750,
including XMM (X-ray science), INTEGRAL (gamma-ray science), MetOp
(operational meteorology), ROSETTA (probe to comet Wirtanen),
and no doubt others as well.

However, it seems that the European production of the MA31750 will
stop, so new projects are likely to use the European and space
qualified implementations of the SPARC (ERC-32) or the ADI 21020
DSP. (A port of GNAT for the latter would be nice. Does it exist?)

Niklas Holsti