From: Scott Ingram <scott@silver.jhuapl.edu>
Subject: Re: Spawning a subprocess and communicating with it.
Date: 1998/10/13
Date: 1998-10-13T17:35:33+00:00	[thread overview]

Condic, Marin D. wrote:

> I don't think the Distributed Annex is appropriate - although somebody might
> suggest a model which would allow things to work with minimal fuss. The
> embedded software is already in existence, but to run it on the workstation
> would require some wrapper software to hide the lack of physical devices.
> (mostly, at this juncture, the 1553 bus) So I'm not totally against any
> modification to the embedded side - I'd just like to minimize it.

Although its been a while since I fiddled with GLADE, it seems to me
that
the DA is exactly what you are asking for.  Make your Monitor program
the
main partition, and the embedded software your remote partition.  (Note
that
partitions can reside on the same machine or be truly remote.)  GLADE's
configuration language takes care of the RPC calls that are used start
the
remote partition when the main partition begins execution, and the RPC
calls
that shut it down.  Communication between the partitions is accomplished
via
Ada.Streams, simulating the serial data stream that your embedded
hardware
normally sends.

> World" level. If you've got any examples or suggestions, I'm listening.
>
> Thanks

Obviously its not as easy as my paragraph above makes it sound, but
looking
at the GLADE sources might be an excellent resource.
--
Scott Ingram
Sonar Processing and Analysis Laboratory