* Java and ADA?
@ 1998-10-12  0:00 Dave Brown
From: Dave Brown @ 1998-10-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am updating some software. There used to be two ADA83 programs sending
objects back and forth. I need to replace one of those programs with
Java code. Is it possible to send objects between Java and ADA83 via
sockets? I'm going to do it in any case, I just want to know if it's
possible before I do :)

Please reply both email and to group.

-Dave

* Re: Java and ADA?
@ 1998-10-12  0:00 ` Dave Wood
From: Dave Wood @ 1998-10-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Brown

Dave Brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am updating some software. There used to be two ADA83 programs sending
> objects back and forth. I need to replace one of those programs with
> Java code. Is it possible to send objects between Java and ADA83 via
> sockets? I'm going to do it in any case, I just want to know if it's
> possible before I do :)

Assuming the Ada program is compiled to native code
rather than byte code, you'd probably want to do
this through JNI (Java native interface).  A transparent
interface to JNI, called AdaJNI, is available from
Ainslee Software.  (This same technology will be
incorporated with the next release of ObjectAda, but
in the meantime you can get it directly from Ainslee.)

-- Dave Wood, Aonix
-- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows
-- http://www.aonix.com

* Re: Java and ADA?
@ 1998-10-13  0:00 ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1998-10-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Is it possible to send objects between Java and ADA83 via
>sockets?
Certainly.  But just what do you mean by 'objects' here?  Sockets will
send a set of bits from memory.  If they are simple record structures
or arrays it should be OK.  If they are complex things containing
pointers, or packed boolean arrays, or Ada Unbounded Strings, or
something, you'd better be real sure the same bit pattern is
understood the same way by both programs.