From: mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman)
Subject: Re: Ada - Where to get programs and books (long)
Date: 22 Sep 1994 17:24:29 -0400
Date: 1994-09-22T17:24:29-04:00	[thread overview]

In article <35sdvl$l36@starbase.neosoft.com>,
David Weller <dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM> wrote:
>In article <35sb2f$592@felix.seas.gwu.edu>,
>Michael Feldman <mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>Booch, G. Object-Oriented Design, with Applications.
>>Benjamin Cummings, 1991.

[snip]

>I believe the publisher is no longer printing this edition, since
>Grady released the second edition (which no longer uses a variety of
>languages, but instead uses only C++  -- please, no arguments about
>whether you agree or disagree with this decision.  What's done is
>done).  It is still a good text on OO design.  However, I'm hoping
>that somebody comes out with an equivalent that uses Ada 9X as the
>language.

You're right - I never got around to writing a review of the second
edition. I have no proprietary interest in the bibliography; I've
been writing capsule reviews as I have time, mostly because nobody
else has done it. AdaIC has a big bibliography, but thery are a
government contractor and don't get much into expressing opinions. :-)

I'd be delighted to have Team_Ada-ers or anyone else in the
community add or update reviews in the booklist. Did I hear you
volunteer to do the Booch one? (Note: I'm crediting other
contributors at the top of the list, and by initials with their
review.)

>I don't have the ISBN, but Burns and Davies has a 1993 version out
>now called "Concurrent PRogramming".  It's a good text, but uses a
>language called FC-Pascal (Functionally Concurrent).  If you look,
>however, you'll notice the syntax looks a lot like...protected types
>in Ada 9X.  You'll also find a good discussion of writing concurrent
>software in Ada 9X at the end of the book.  I recommend this one
>until a version specifically for Ada 9X comes out (next year, maybe?).

This one too - are you volunteering, Dave? :-)

>>Cohen, N. Ada as a Second Language.
>
>	Does Norm Cohen have an idea when the second edition of this
>	book will be ready? (Norm?)

I'm waiting too. :-)

I would be quite happy to see this booklist become a community
project, perhaps with a Team_Ada header. I'm still signing it
myself at this point, mostly because I wrote all but 4 of the
reviews.

Cheers -

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)
NOTE NEW PHONE NUMBER.
"Pork is all that stuff the government gives the other guys."