From: dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller)
Subject: Re: Ada - Where to get programs and books (long)
Date: 22 Sep 1994 12:13:25 -0500
Date: 1994-09-22T12:13:25-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <35sb2f$592@felix.seas.gwu.edu>,
Michael Feldman <mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu> wrote:

>Booch, G. Object-Oriented Design, with Applications.
>Benjamin Cummings, 1991.
>  This is a good comparative introduction to the "object-oriented (OO)"
>concept. The first half gives a balanced presentation of the issues in
>OO Design; the second half gives nontrivial examples from Ada,
>Smalltalk, C++, CLOS, and Object Pascal. The author tries to sort out
>the difference between object-based (weak inheritance, like Ada) and
>object-oriented (like C++) languages. My only real complaint is that
>Booch should have worked out at least some of his case studies using
>several different languages, to highlight the similarities and
>differences in the language structures. As it is, each case study is
>done in only a single language. The good news is that the book is
>remarkably free of the hyperbolic claims one sometimes finds in the OO
>literature. I think this book could be used successfully in a second-
>level comparative languages course.

I believe the publisher is no longer printing this edition, since
Grady released the second edition (which no longer uses a variety of
languages, but instead uses only C++  -- please, no arguments about
whether you agree or disagree with this decision.  What's done is
done).  It is still a good text on OO design.  However, I'm hoping
that somebody comes out with an equivalent that uses Ada 9X as the
language.

>Burns, A. Concurrent Programming in Ada.
>Cambridge University Press, 1985.
>  I used this book for years in my concurrency course. It's roughly
>equivalent to Gehani's book, but its age is showing. Cambridge Press is
>not always easy to get books from, especially in the US.

I don't have the ISBN, but Burns and Davies has a 1993 version out
now called "Concurrent PRogramming".  It's a good text, but uses a
language called FC-Pascal (Functionally Concurrent).  If you look,
however, you'll notice the syntax looks a lot like...protected types
in Ada 9X.  You'll also find a good discussion of writing concurrent
software in Ada 9X at the end of the book.  I recommend this one
until a version specifically for Ada 9X comes out (next year, maybe?).

>Cohen, N. Ada as a Second Language.

	Does Norm Cohen have an idea when the second edition of this
	book will be ready? (Norm?)

--
Proud (and vocal) member of Team Ada! (and Team OS/2)        ||This is not your
             Ada 9X -- It doesn't suck                       ||  father's Ada