* TROJAN HORSE WARNING!
@ 1997-04-23  0:00 Alfred M Selgas
From: Alfred M Selgas @ 1997-04-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Heads-up!

Subject: Trojan Horse Warning

>The CIAC of the Dept. of Energy has verified the existence of a program that
>can erase files on your hard drive if executed.  The program purports to
>enable the user to create "bogus" accounts on America Online that you could
>proceed to use without charge.  The "hook" is to get you to believe that you
>can get something for nothing.  Currently, the program appears under the
>name "AOL4FREE.COM."  This is not the same software that AOL saturates the
>earth with to promote a free 10 hr. trial of AOL.  Ignore any desire to
>download or execute any attachment that you may receive that resembles this
>description.  Another clue is that the program is ridiculously short (993
>bytes--not KB) for what it claims to do.

* Re: TROJAN HORSE WARNING!
@ 1997-04-24  0:00 ` system
From: system @ 1997-04-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alfred M Selgas <selgasa@SMTP-GW.SPAWAR.NAVY.MIL> writes:

Have you seen the warning itself?

>Heads-up!

>Subject: Trojan Horse Warning

>>The CIAC of the Dept. of Energy has verified the existence of a program that
>>can erase files on your hard drive if executed.  The program purports to
>>enable the user to create "bogus" accounts on America Online that you could
>>proceed to use without charge.  The "hook" is to get you to believe that you
>>can get something for nothing.  Currently, the program appears under the
>>name "AOL4FREE.COM."  This is not the same software that AOL saturates the
>>earth with to promote a free 10 hr. trial of AOL.  Ignore any desire to
>>download or execute any attachment that you may receive that resembles this
>>description.  Another clue is that the program is ridiculously short (993
>>bytes--not KB) for what it claims to do.
specify the e-mail address below, my reply-to: has anti-spam added to it
Morphis@physics.niu.edu
Real Men change diapers

* Re: TROJAN HORSE WARNING!
@ 1997-04-25  0:00   ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 1997-04-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

system@niuhep.physics.niu.edu wrote:

> Alfred M Selgas <selgasa@SMTP-GW.SPAWAR.NAVY.MIL> writes:
>
> Have you seen the warning itself?

See:

    http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/bulletins/h-47a.shtml

for more information on the AOL4FREE.COM trojan horse.

--
LMTAS - The Fighter Enterprise - "Our Brand Means Quality"
For job listings, other info: http://www.lmtas.com or

* Re: TROJAN HORSE WARNING!
@ 1997-04-26  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-04-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

<<See:

    http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/bulletins/h-47a.shtml

for more information on the AOL4FREE.COM trojan horse.>>

It is generally better not to repost these kinds of warnings to
miscellaneous irrelevant news groups. Very often what you get is
neophytes passing on junk warnings that have been wandering around
the net for ages.

Serious warnings are posted in standard security areas that are
known to those who need to be concerned with such matters. If you
DO need to be concerned, and do NOT know how to find out about
these kind of security problems, then you can't in any case rely
on such posts as a reliable protection mechanism, most especially
because when you see such a repost, you have no way to know if it
is real or not.