From: bf14@prism.gatech.edu (Brian Franklin)
Subject: Re: Timing of ADA code
Date: 1998/08/01
Date: 1998-08-01T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Sat, 1 Aug 1998 08:16:35 GMT, jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl (Jerry
van Dijk) wrote:

>Brian Franklin (bf14@prism.gatech.edu) wrote:
>
>: OK, In that case "wall" time will do. My PC has a dedicated processor
>: and hopefully any other tasks it chooses to do (if done) will not
>: affect the result.
>
>Since you are running Win95, the processor will switch between processes
>and theads every 20 milliseconds.
>
>: I guess basically I just need the time when the
>: process starts and the time when it finishes.
>
>For that you can use the functions from the package Calendar.
>
>But, the time you measure includes the time spend on all other processes
>and threads running on you PC at the same time. So, it boils down to
>how accurate you need to measure.

  Since I am comparing algorithms and if each suffers from the same
switching between processes, I think the "wall" time will still do.
In other words, if the switching process is the same when I run each
algorithm a normalization of the result could still prove useful.

  I looked at Calendar but if I understand the interface it appears
that I can only get a accuracy to seconds and I would like to get at
least 1/100 of a second.  I think the problem is the same with package
Real_Time.