* How can access desktop access database from my unitech pt930(s)
@ 2004-02-11  1:17 Ambassador
From: Ambassador @ 2004-02-11  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

How can I access server mdb file database by using embedded vb  from
my handle device. I need a sample code. Thank you
My device is PT930 and pt930S.

* Re: How can access desktop access database from my unitech pt930(s)
@ 2004-02-11  7:18 ` Keld Laursen [eMVP]
From: Keld Laursen [eMVP] @ 2004-02-11  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Ambassador" <sifre78@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How can I access server mdb file database by using embedded vb  from
> my handle device. I need a sample code. Thank you
> My device is PT930 and pt930S.

You cannot do that!

What you CAN do is to write some program on the "server" that copies the
file to the device using the DEVICETODESKTOP function.
This will convert the file into something that is useable by the device (a
.cdb file).

The net should have plenty of examples on using DESKTOPTODEVICE and its
cousin DEVICETODESKTOP form more or less any programming language.

If you really really really want to access the mdb file, you will most
probably have to roll some kind of server program for your "server", and
access that using TCP/IP or some such. You will have to roll your own
protocol for sending queries and datasets, or try and find something to
adopt. In either case, the task isn't trivial.

/Keld Laursen

* Re: How can access desktop access database from my unitech pt930(s)
@ 2004-02-11  9:30 ` Paul Newton
From: Paul Newton @ 2004-02-11  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

My application scenario is identical to yours, I too use a Unitech
PT930SA to read/write to a server-based database, (although I'm
accessing a dBase database).

I spent 6 weeks looking into the various ways of communicating with a
server over Wi-Fi, my task was complicated further as I also needed to
access server-side business logic, as we needed a very thin client.

The options I looked at were:
-DCOM, forget it, not supported by Unitech
-Winsock, this works well for transfering small packets of data
to/from the server, but is flawed when the data is large.
-Third-party tools, there are various tools available for you to
communicate with the server, the best one I found was VIAXML from
Odyssey Software, they also have CEFusion which might help you.
-RAPI, didn't really get to look at this too much.
-SOAP?

I think that if you just want a direct link to update your database
and not to business logic, then you may need to move your database to
SQL Server for CE.

Hope this helps..

Paul Newton