From: paulnewton44@hotmail.com (Paul Newton)
Subject: Re: How can access desktop access database from my unitech pt930(s)
Date: 11 Feb 2004 01:30:20 -0800
Date: 2004-02-11T01:30:20-08:00	[thread overview]

My application scenario is identical to yours, I too use a Unitech
PT930SA to read/write to a server-based database, (although I'm
accessing a dBase database).

I spent 6 weeks looking into the various ways of communicating with a
server over Wi-Fi, my task was complicated further as I also needed to
access server-side business logic, as we needed a very thin client.

The options I looked at were:
-DCOM, forget it, not supported by Unitech
-Winsock, this works well for transfering small packets of data
to/from the server, but is flawed when the data is large.
-Third-party tools, there are various tools available for you to
communicate with the server, the best one I found was VIAXML from
Odyssey Software, they also have CEFusion which might help you.
-RAPI, didn't really get to look at this too much.
-SOAP?

I think that if you just want a direct link to update your database
and not to business logic, then you may need to move your database to
SQL Server for CE.

Hope this helps..

Paul Newton