From: Mark A Biggar <mark.a.biggar@lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Conditional Code in Ada 95?
Date: 1998/08/24
Date: 1998-08-24T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Gene Ouye wrote:
> Rex Reges wrote:
> > I just saw some Ada95 code riddled with conditional
> > compilation statements. I wasn't aware that this
> > was part of Ada95 and I can't find it in the ARM.
> > Is this some feature that compiler vendors have
> > all decided to support?
> Rational Apex includes a preprocessor that can be used for conditional
> compilation, but this is certainly NOT something that the ARM requires,
> and Ada compiler vendors are NOT required to provide it.  As far as I
> know, the compiler vendors have not decided to support any particular
> conditional compilation syntax much less conditional compilation in
> general.

It should also be noted that most ANSI standard C compiler preprocessors
will not work with Ada code.  The 2 languages have just enough differences
in the way they break text up into tokens that a ANSI C preprocessor (whose
operation is defined in terms of token strings not characters) gets
very confused, especially about ' attributes.  Older pre-ANSI text based
C preporcessors may work depending on how they habdle quoting.

--
Mark Biggar
mark.a.biggar@lmco.com