* Tool for producing a cross-reference for global variables
@ 1998-08-18  0:00 Rush Kester
From: Rush Kester @ 1998-08-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for a tool to producing a cross-reference of where, in a set
of Ada units, objects declared in package specifications or bodies (aka
variables) are referenced (assigned or read).

Does anyone know where such a tool is available?  Alternative the
location of a similar tool that I could modify to this purpose.

Thanks, Rush Kester
P.S.  I know that global variables are "poor style."  I didn't write the
code, I'm just trying to understand it!
--
Rush Kester
Software System Engineer

* Re: Tool for producing a cross-reference for global variables
@ 1998-08-18  0:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1998-08-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rush Kester <Rush.Kester@jhuapl.edu> writes:

> I'm looking for a tool to producing a cross-reference of where, in a set
> of Ada units, objects declared in package specifications or bodies (aka
> variables) are referenced (assigned or read).

GNAT comes with a crossreference tool. see www.gnat.com.

-- Stephe

* Re: Tool for producing a cross-reference for global variables
@ 1998-08-19  0:00 ` Andre' C. Coulter
From: Andre' C. Coulter @ 1998-08-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

McCabe and Associates has a tool called battlemap that will do what you
asked.

Others are available as well.  But I know battlemap produces this
information.
Andre' Coulter

@ 1998-08-21  0:00 ` Gene Ouye
From: Gene Ouye @ 1998-08-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rush Kester wrote:

> I'm looking for a tool to producing a cross-reference of where, in a set
> of Ada units, objects declared in package specifications or bodies (aka
> variables) are referenced (assigned or read).
>
> Does anyone know where such a tool is available?  Alternative the
> location of a similar tool that I could modify to this purpose.

Do you need to produce a cross reference report or just traverse to the
references?  That information is directly available to you in Rational
Apex if your code has been compiled by the Apex compiler.  You will get
a window with all the references listed from which you can traverse to
the statements in question.  But I suspect that if you were using Apex
or had it available to you, you would already know that...

Gene Ouye <.g.e.n.e.o.@.r.a.t.i.o.n.a.l...c.o.m.>

* Re: Tool for producing a cross-reference for global variables
@ 1998-08-22  0:00 dewar
From: dewar @ 1998-08-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rush Kester says

<<I'm looking for a tool to producing a cross-reference of where, in a set
of Ada units, objects declared in package specifications or bodies (aka
variables) are referenced (assigned or read).

Does anyone know where such a tool is available?  Alternative the
location of a similar tool that I could modify to this purpose.

Thanks, Rush Kester
P.S.  I know that global variables are "poor style."  I didn't write the
code, I'm just trying to understand it!

gnatf will provide more or less the information you want. GNAT 3.11b, now
available in beta form to our customers, and to be released to our
customers very shortly in final form has a new utility gnatxref which
will do exactly what you want. So if you are currently a supported
ACT customer, you should contact report@gnat.com with your customer
number to get details on how to obtain and use this utility.

* Re: Tool for producing a cross-reference for global variables
@ 1998-08-24  0:00 ` Michael F Brenner
From: Michael F Brenner @ 1998-08-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rush Kester > I'm looking for a global cross-reference of Ada objects
            > P.S. I know that global variables are "poor style."
            > I didn't write the code, I'm just trying to understand it!

Not bad style, but bad for maintenance because of the additional analysis
of impact of change that global variables require (i.e. increased
coupling).

Robert Dewar > gnatf will provide more or less the information you want.

This is true in many projects, particularly those that are compilable
by gnat. However, some of the older projects, particularly those
that were developed on Datageneral computers and therefore have
a 16-bit-byte size are difficult. Fatal errors are generated when
fields in record representation specifications overlap (as they
do when 16-bit-byte fields are compiled on an 8-bit-byte compiler).

Are there any way to permit making a cross reference list despite
fatal errors of a kind like this, that is target specific errors?

Actually, it would be nice if there were a way to make all fatal
errors ignorable, that is, into warnings, for use during the
analysis phase, when the program might represent a design, rather
than a finished compilable code. Historically this was called
a TBD option where missing pieces could still be cross-referenced
even though the TBD types, packages, units, and objects were not
fully specified yet.

Robert > GNAT 3.11b, now available in beta form to our customers,
       > and to be released to our customers very shortly
       > in final form has a new utility gnatxref which
       > will do exactly what you want. So if you are currently a supported
       > ACT customer, you should contact report@gnat.com with your customer
       > number to get details on how to obtain and use this utility.

This is very good news.