From: Rusnak <jrusnak@netgate.net>
Subject: Re: GNAT compiler problem?
Date: 1998/08/11
Date: 1998-08-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

  Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunatey, I am not using any of these features
explicitly.  The problem is looking like a memoery problem.
I fixed the problem above by doing the folllowing:
    I was implementing some new code in stages, and the first stage involved
a package which only contained a child package and nothing else.
The child package contained a type definiction (derived/subclassed off of a
tagged type in another package).  This code caused an error, but when I
instead "promoted" the child package to acutally be its parent package (that
is, I pushed the internals of the child package to the parent package and
eliminated the child), the code worked fine.  I lived with this solution for
a while but a new error recently creeped at a point where a cast was being
mase from an anonymous access type to a "defined type" (pardon my ignorance
of the proper terminology).  A STORAGE_ERROR was raised in a routine in
Ada.Tags
for checking that validity of the conversion I assume .  I shifted the
explicit cast call to a different location in the code and things worked fine
once again.
Later, I found that a section of code that was working before no longer is,
with a CONSTRAINT_ERROR when using the Value attribute to convert a
String to an enumerated type.  When I put a debugging statement in to print
the 'Image of  a value within the enumerated type, the program caused a
segmentation fault/core dump.  It seems that some section of memory is
getting "stomped" on and overwritten.

I do allocate memorty, but no deallocation of memory is done at that point of
execution.

It looks like this will be a long battle to determine the cause.

-John