From: Dave Wood <dpw@cts.com>
Subject: Re: Does ObjectAda optimize at all??
Date: 1998/08/09
Date: 1998-08-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

[Please reply via email, as I rarely have a
chance to check this group any more.]

It depends on which ObjectAda we're talking
about.  Generally, the real-time/embedded/safety
critical versions have a lot more in the way of
compiler optimization switches than does
the Windows native.  For that matter, so does
the Unix native.  This is true primarily for
practical and logistical reasons.  OA/Win native
doesn't give you a lot of options, relying
on the combination of some hidden front-end
optimizations, an inherently good code
generator (though getting long in the teeth),
and build-time stuff like unused subprogram
elimination.

Optimization options for the sake of optimization
options aren't high on the list for that product,
as (by and large) the users of that product are
longing for other kinds of improvements and we
need to prioritize accordingly.

At some point, we'll roll out a brand new code
generator that will allow a longer list of back-end
optimizations (which will have importance for
embedded Intel targets, but I'm doubtful it will
provide much more than psychological effect for
Win native where there are so many other factors
at play), but for now we find the most
bang for the buck for the typical native user
by improving the performance of the runtime.
For example, the new 7.1.2 release (which
will be shipping in 3-4 weeks) has improved
performance of some benchmarks at the level of
an order of magnitude, just" by optimizing the
runtime.

-- Dave Wood, Aonix
-- Product Manager, ObjectAda for Windows

p.s.  I don't know what "function" the engineers
were at when you called, since that implies they
have a real life but we like to avoid that by keeping
them busy round-the-clock.  :)  But, I might suggest
you join our user group mailing list.  It's a very
useful information source for our customers and more
likely to be tracked by our engineers than c.l.a.
You'll find instructions for joining at:

http://www.aonix.com/Support/ada_index.html