From: Dan Mattsson <i96danma@island.liu.se>
Subject: Re: About to give up...
Date: 1998/08/08
Date: 1998-08-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:

> Dan said
> True but tedious...
> >>

> Tedious for who? the reader, or the writer.
<snip>
> If you *do* want to completely ignore returned result, I find a useful
> notation to be
>
>         Discard (func (params));
>
> where Discard is an inlined null procedure that ignores its parameter.
>
> But very often you will do better to do something like
>
>         Check_Error (func (params));
>
> where Check_Error checks that the returned result is OK, and raises an
> exception if not.

You are right, the return codes are meant to be taken care of, but my
point is while writing the program, I want things to get things going as
quickly as possible. Then, when I'm satisfied with the structure, I
complete it with error handling and taking care of return parameters. I
am to impatient to take care of every possible event in the beginning of
a project. I implement a feature; if it works, fine, if it doesn't I add
error handling code and figure out what went wrong.

I suppose you will now say that impatience is the last quality any
programmer should have, perhaps thats true but this is how I do things.

My main problem, though, is then incompleteness of Win32Ada. I'm not
sure if either comp.lang.ada or gnatchat is the right forum for those
issues, does anybody know another mailinglist or newsgroup that deals
with them?

/Dan